Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Do you REALLY mean it?!?!

So the title of this blog sums up a lot of our life in the past few months: a calling to adopt, getting a new job, and starting a BLOG!  Just four short months ago God totally changed my heart toward adoption.  Wait...back up...I have ALWAYS thought about adoption and it's always been something I've wanted to do AT SOME POINT IN LIFE.  After having Eli, Ayla, and Owen I was determined to convince Bobby to have another child...he had different plans.  He was adamant that if we had another child it would be through adoption. 

After having three kiddos, I didn't know if adopting was still in our plans and something I could do (how could I ever love a child as much as these three?!?!).  Bobby had obviously been praying that my heart would be changed because one February night as I was reading "Choosing to See" by Mary Beth Chapman (when I picked the book up I didn't know what I was getting into!!), I had a huge overwhelming feeling come over me.  I remember getting up out of bed around 11pm to turn on the computer and start researching Show Hope....and the obsession began!  Bobby laughed at my random (not to God!), sudden change of heart.  It was like a switch turned on and I suddenly had NO FEAR of adoption and knew God was speaking directly to my heart! 

So, here we are four months later, still enthralled with orphans/adopting.  We have been to Denver and back for an AMAZING conference through
Show Hope and Empowered to Connect.  We have narrowed down our search for an agency and have decided on Ethiopia!  The process has already been exhausting, overwhelming, and emotional.  We started off with just a thought and are constantly learning new adoption jargon, facts, how to's, etc.  It is my desire that others who have even a tiny inkling of looking into adoption will be inspired by us.  I have read that 48% of people consider adoption at some point, but only 2% of people go through with it.

We started from scratch and are just beginning.  I'm excited about this journey and hope this blog will help our family and friends understand our hearts and be a part of this journey with us.  In the next week I will be updating this blog with things that have inspired us, facts about adopting, the monetary commitment, etc. 


Enjoy this ride through our hearts and lives!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Courtney, what a wonderful story! So excited for you guys as you follow this new calling, I can't wait to hear more about your plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh! How exciting for you guys. So glad you started this blog as it will be great to sort of experience this experience with you. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Courtney! I was going to suggest reading my friend Krissie's blog, but it looks like you already found her (Leap of Love). Best of luck to you and Bobby (and the kids) as you wait on your new little!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the wonderful world of adoption!! I saw your post on the Yahoo
    group, but I didn't have a chance to respond on there. So, I came to check out your blog! Congratulations on starting your journey!! If you have any questions about the paperchase, you can always ask me! I'm no expert, but I've got a little bit under my belt. :) I LOVE your shirts and as soon as we have some cash flow, I am SO getting one!!!!!! We're in this together! I'm here to support you, pray for you and answer any questions I can!!

    Lindsey :)
    almcrock.blogspot.com
    lindseycrock@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete