We are very excited to announce our acceptance into America World Adoption's Ethiopia program!!!! We got the phone call yesterday and now have a stack of initial paperwork to get signed and sent off. After the initial paperwork is processed, the "Paper Pregnancy" will begin (also known as the Dossier --pronounced doss-E-A). We are excited to start this process but are told it is a time consuming, exciting, overwhelming experience!!!!!
On top of the paperwork side of things we really need to get going on raising funds. People are SHOCKED when we tell them the costs of international adoption range from about 25-40K!!!! Our adoption will probably land around 30-35K. Intimidating.....YES. Challenging....YES. Do we have those funds just sitting around....NO. BUT, we know this is all in God's hands and we hope to find some fun ways to raise money, along with donations that others feel led to give.
I've heard from people in the past that they feel people shouldn't adopt if they don't have the money. Honestly, this erks me beyond belief. The Bible clearly states we should care for orphans (there are numerous verses in the Bible relating to orphans and the fatherless!!!). Everyone can help in some way....weather it's through prayer, financial support, foster care, adoption, etc! The need to care for orphans is ASTOUNDING and to answer the cry is doable for everyone in some way or another.
Here is a link to show where our 30-35K will go:
Ethiopian adoption costs
This week I ask that you pray specifically for our fundraising efforts. This past weekend our basement flooded and we had to rip out all the carpet and move everything out. What perfect timing....Bobby's busiest time of the year (therefore we will have no basement or garage for a couple of months) and right when we are trying to save money toward our new "baby" girl. All I can do at this point is chuckle. I've been questioning God lately and the possibility of raising $15,000-$20,000....and He threw this our way. I know it's just a fork in the road to see how we can handle things and to prove His power in all situations. We truly believe that the funds will come and that He will play His part in this process He has called us to.
We are trying to come up with a fun, wearable saying for t-shirts....if you have a good idea, we'd LOVE to hear it!!!!!! We plan on selling shirts and Ethiopian coffee, and will possibly do other fundraising efforts as they come available and are needed!
Thank you EVERYONE for your support you've shown already....your thoughts and prayers are felt!
We're off to a play date and then planning for my mom's 50th and Owen's 1st birthday parties!!!!!! My brother Jesse will be in town Sunday night and I haven't seen him for a year....you can only imagine the excitement in this house!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love from our family to yours!
Courtney...you should find a way to set up an online donation link on your blog and facebook. I bet people will be more likely do donate if it is really easy to do. I of course have NO idea how to set something like that up, but I bet it isn't too complicated. Just a suggestion to help raise funds, every little bit will help!
ReplyDelete