Monday, November 26, 2012

Congo Adventures Day 3 Part 2--Addy's in OUR Arms!!!

The rest of Day 3 (Tuesday, October 23, 2012):

...I fumbled around with my phone as we drove through the big metal gates, quickly asking C if she could video this special moment. 

The next 2 minutes went so fast, I could hardly catch a breath!  Just seconds after I handed C the camera I saw two nannies walk out the door--one holding our ADDY!!!!  My heart was skipping twenty beats a second and the tears were instant. The car barely stopped and I was jumping out of the car TO GET MY BABY GIRL.

I quickly walked over to the nannies, grabbing Addy in the sweetest embrace E.V.E.R!  I cannot think about this moment without tears flowing down my face.  Our Addy....our sweet girl who we had prayed for and dreamed about for so long placed in her mommy's arms for the first time--just days before turning 9 months old.  I can't even describe to you how tightly she grabbed and hugged me.  After a long hug, I kissed her face all over and let her just stare at me for a bit---no tears, no reaching back to the nannies, she just sat and stared at me.
Moments after meeting!

Overwhelmed with complete JOY!  A.K.A "Laugh and Cry Baby Mommy"

Bobby came over and pried her off of me, wanting to hold his baby girl too!  I let them bond for a moment while I hugged all the nannies and told them thank you over and over again.  They were so excited and giggly---what wonderful ladies!

Just moments after we arrived, the other 8 nannies and 23 children made their way down the stairs surrounding us.  Within minutes I had at least 5 kiddos wrapped around my legs!  We stopped to snap a few first moment photos with the kids, and then headed inside.


As we entered, one nanny handed out suckers to everyone at the door---Addy and all the tiny babies included;)  I selfishly remained standing for awhile, as it was the best way to get some "one-on-one" time without 10 kids climbing all around me.  I couldn't take my eyes off her---taking in every inch of her and squeezing her over and over again! 
 

Finally I gave in (really, my arms were getting tired---23lbs of pure sweetness!!!!) and sat down on the floor.  Immediately there were kids all around us, searching for some love and attention.  I sat Addy on the floor by her playmates, and spent time playing with the others.
 

24 kids were living at the house, and each of them was so beautiful and wonderful!  Their smiles and laughter was so uplifting.  Even though we couldn't verbally communicate with each other, we were able to play and show each other love.  I couldn't help but just want to take them all home!  24 kiddos from 4months to 8 years--all with their own stories, histories, and futures. 

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
BEAUTIES!

After some play time, it was the children's lunch time--chicken and rice.  As the children sat down for their grub, I walked around the table to jot down each of their names and sizes (for their mommies back home!).  Some were seated and done within a few minutes, others took a half hour.  After being excused they walked over to a big water jug to wash their hands and headed back outside to play.

We lingered around inside for a bit not knowing we were about to start a dance party!!!!! 
One of the nannies got out her phone and turned up the music....
She started dancing and soon a couple more nannies and a few children joined her.
Then Bobby did it! 
He was holding Addy and started dancing around just a bit.....oh my goodness!!! 
You should have seen the nannies!!!
They started screaming and laughing and just couldn't get enough! 
For about 10 minutes they turned up the music and were dancing away--some of the children thought we were nuts, but most of them giggled and joined the party!!!  One nanny kept shimmying up by Bobby and everyone lost it every time!! 

One of the hardest things that day was sharing my Addy with the nannies!  We were told the night before that there was one nanny, J, who was very attached to Addy ("Generose"--the name given to her at the orphanage).  D told us that it was probably a good thing that J was not going to be working this day as she was having such a hard time with Addy's leaving.  Turns out she couldn't resist another day with Addy, so she came in to meet us--and spent the entire day with us!  It was very special and sweet getting to know her and see Addy and her interact...but it was TOUGH for me---to be there meeting my baby and also having J wanting to spend her last day with her as well!!  Every time I had Addy she would just stare at us, smiling at every step we took!

Addy was in the first group of children that moved to the Transition House (July 10) and J and her connected from the start.  J is the one that pierced Addy's ears, encouraged her to crawl, and snuggled her to pieces.   It was very apparent they had a special connection. I couldn't help but love J and a few times throughout the day I kindly walked over and placed Addy in her arms, watching her light up with an unexplainable love! 

J told C (our interpreter for the day!), "I will not be able to look at a baby ever again without thinking of my Generose.  I love her so much and am going to cry every time I hear her name."

All day long we'd hear J and the other nannies saying, "Gennie, Gennie," and Addy would turn her head and let out a little giggle.
J trying to convince Addy to show us she could crawl (even though she was perfectly content sitting in one spot all day long!)

We spent most of the day outside, playing with the kids and watching them interact.  The girls, playing hand games (the good ol' clapping/rhythm kind) and doing their dollies' hair.  The boys playing with a few cars and chasing Bobby around the yard. 

 At one point there was somewhat of a down moment, so Bobby and I thought it would be a good time to go inside and give the nannies the gifts we brought for them.  Shortly before leaving for Congo, I was informed there were a few men to buy gifts for in addition to the 10 lady's gifts I had already bought.  Some how, I completely spaced it until we were in route to Congo.  But, I had two garbage bags full of parade candy I was going to give the kids and decided I could divide it into baggies and give them to the men.  I thought it would work perfectly---nail polish, body spray, and Dove chocolate for the ladies, and a large bag of candy for the men.  Simple, right?!?!? 

Bobby set out the bag of nail polish and body spray and told them to each pick one out----BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They went NUTS!!!!!  The men and women were jumping around each other scrambling through the bags.  They were fighting over colors and fragrances and yelling at each other (in French, of course).  Bobby tried explaining to the men that the candy was for them and threw them each a bag.  A couple of the ladies saw the candy and started pushing and arguing with the men, begging for the candy.  It was almost hilarious how nuts they were going!  C was in the kitchen and heard them all yelling so she came out to see what was going on!  Luckily she was able to ask us what our intent was for everything and then relayed the message to them.  They were all very appreciative and loved the small gifts (obviously)--it amazed us how much such small things were large blessings to them!  I don't know if I'll ever be able to put on nail polish again without remembering this story!

Another thing about the nannies---they L.O.V.E.D getting their pictures taken!  Every five minutes they'd get our attention, asking for us to take their photos.  At one point I was called into the house to find all 10 of them lined up for a photo.  And their greatest joy....getting a photo taken with Bobby!  Apparently this good looking white man was a hot commodity to these Congolese women!  They would wrap their arms around him for a photo and just giggle away.  Typically this behavior towards my hubby would get my blood boiling---but I found it quite funny how silly they were over him!

Bobby looking at the other nannies who were giggling uncontrollably!

At one point I was busy playing around and noticed J had put Addy to sleep.  I couldn't stay away so I went down the hall to see her sleeping (okay, really to pick her up to cuddle).  I peeked in the first door and didn't see her, so I went to the next two rooms--still not finding her.  Finally a nanny showed me that she was indeed in the first room.  Ha---I guess I wasn't expecting to find her on the TOP BUNK with three other babies!!! 

As the day went on we continued to soak in as much as we could.  They fed us a wonderful chicken dinner and slowly the day turned to night.  It was such a sweet evening sitting on the porch, amazed at where God had brought us.  The day was long and we were getting tired, but I couldn't help feeling sad knowing our time with all the children was almost over.  We sat outside for a good hour until the nannies called the kids inside to get on their pjs and have their night time snack---porridge (soybeans, peanuts, and dried mushrooms pureed together). 


Shortly after their porridge, our driver arrived to bring us back to the hotel.  We gave the nannies hugs and bent down to give one last squeeze to each of the children before piling into the car.  As soon as the door shut, I felt my eyes well up with tears.  Watching the children sit on the steps, waving goodbye to Generose and Josee (A's 8 year old girl) was overwhelming for me.  As we pulled out of the big metal gate, the tears turned into a sob....and it continued all the way back to the hotel.

The drive back was so incredibly surreal.  Our driver had put on some soft African music as we sat bouncing around in the backseat driving down the streets of Kinshasa.  My emotions took over---sooooo incredibly happy that Addy was with us forever, yet almost feeling guilty taking her from the house that had brought her so much love and joy.  What we were seeing on the streets of Kinshasa was completely opposite of the life we were going to bring her home to in the US. 

I sat holding on tight to my sleeping baby girl, thanking Jesus for the love He taught us....praying that we would be able to show that love to Addy every day of her life.

We stared out the windows, hardly a word the whole hour back to the hotel.  Every once in awhile I'd turn to look at Josee---intently staring out the window taking it all in.

Surreal.Unbelievable.Overwhelming. 

We got back, washed up, and cuddled Miss Addy to sleep.
This was the day which we had longed for---Addy is ours FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Every ache, wait, and pain along the way was completely washed away with the joy she had brought us.  The road to get her was long and hard----but oh so worth every second of it---just like the pains of laboring a child!
 
John 16:21
When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this journey for us to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. choking back tears. tears rolling down my face. loud laughter. pure joy. all things i just experienced reading this beautiful post. i am so glad Addy is home. where she belongs. where God always knew she would be. designed just for you... that blows my mind. thanks for all you have done courtney. sharing your time with our children in the TH. something i will never forget. what a beautiful blessing you are to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazingly beautiful!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just made me cry! So happy for you. Thank you for sharing this special moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for this post! I found your blog just searching in Congo adoption blogs. And I am just staring at these pictures over and over. Our future son, Kashala, is the four month old baby boy in that house. Seeing pictures of where he is, and especially seeing pictures of his loving nannies, is so overwhleming. I am so overjoyed knowing how well he is being taken care of and loved. Thank you so much. We feel very lucky to be working with this wonderful agency. Love the pictures, and congratulations!! I hope to be there soon meeting my baby boy...
    My name is Jen, and I live in Minnesota. I'd love to talk more about your experience and how things are going now, if you'd be willing. my email is timandjen@gmail
    Again, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EWWW! GROSS!! You're right; your hair looks disgusting! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your experience! My husband and I are adopting from DRC and are waiting for our son's medical exam to be completed so our embassy appointment can be made. It is reassuring to see how well cared for the babies are. We can only pray that our little guy is just as well cared for. I appreciate you sharing your experience---we keep wondering what to expect!

    ReplyDelete