Friday, November 9, 2012

Congo Adventures Day 1--almost there!

Well, I figured it's time I sit down and try to journal a bit about our adventure to bring Addy home!  We've been home a week and a half and it's hard to even believe we were in Congo just a short time ago....it's crazy how much you can be affected by something and then the next minute your back to your "normal" life again.  I pray that we never forget what we experienced and that even though we are back home, that we'll live our lives forever changed by what God has taught us through not only the journey of adoption, but the journey to Congo...
--------------------------------------------------------------

We had only received the call on Thursday midday that we could book our tickets and finally head to get Addy. I spent Thursday and Friday doing last minute travel preparations and coordinating our flights, as Bobby wrapped up things at work and lined out his guys to stay busy without the boss for 10 days!

I was so elated knowing our wait was finally over and Addy would soon be home. BUT, I was nervous to leave Eli, Ayla, and Owen behind.

{A mom with a heart torn completely in half}

We'd talked for years about getting a will written and hand wrote one a few years back when we took a trip to Hawaii....but it was a definite checklist item before travel to Congo. That process in itself was enough to get my emotions rolling...confirming with our guardians that they really would love and care for our children if we happened to not come back.  We had to face the hard realities of traveling so far and into a country that we were warned about traveling to----but all the while knowing that in the end, all that really matters is that our children know a love for Christ and are brought up fearing the Lord (whether that was with us or not).

We trusted that the Lord had clearly called us down this path and had taken us through a long journey to get to this point...we knew He'd be bringing us back to our earthly home.  BUT, it still weighed on my heart what the possibility of us not returning would mean for these three:

The night before departure.  Joyfully anticipating the arrival of Addy!



Day 1--Sunday, October 21:
The morning started with a very early alarm waking us to get up, showered, and out of the house by 6:45 so we could make it to Bismarck for our 9:40 flight. As boring as it may have been for them, we really wanted our kiddos to see us off at the airport so we piled into the mini-van with our volunteered driver (my big bro, Jesse) and headed down the road. 

I sat nestled in the backseat between Eli and Ayla...with Owen just an arms reach in front of me.  I savored every second of the 1.5 hour drive.  To be honest, I was a mess.  Thoughts continually crammed my head knowing this could have been the last time I was with them....of course I know that could be the case any second of any day---but there was an uneasy feeling knowing where we were headed, without them. 

I got teary eyed as Eli and Ayla were asking me to tell them stories of Jesse, Cain, and I from our childhood---one of their favorites!  Jesse and Bobby were chatting away in the front seat as I sat back cuddling the heck out of my kiddos, still feeling surreal that we were headed to get our fourth child.  The closer to Bismarck we got, the more surreal it became.

As much as I'd wished it was possible they could go with us, when we got to the airport I was quickly reminded how "relaxing" the trip would be without having them along---the three of them crawling all over our suitcases, pulling on our sleeves, and asking a million questions as we were trying to get checked in.  (Secretly I just smiled, wondering what the car ride home would bring with Uncle Jesse and 3 tired kidddos!)

Shortly after arriving, the dreaded moment came.....when we had to give one last squeeze goodbye.  We quickly snapped a last "Family of 5" photo and said our goodbyes---little Ayla broke down crying, which of course lead to more "mommy tears".  Pulling her off my legs and confirming with her that we would see her soon (which I prayed was true)....ugh, I'm crying now remembering the look in her eyes and the ache in my heart!  I turned away and walked through the security checkpoint without looking back. 

 
We entered the waiting area filled with early risers on their way here and there.  I was ready to start the journey to Congo....ready to get there, bond with Addy, and come home to a family of SIX.

<<Dickinson to Denver (stinky)
Our first flight started off with a stink.  Bobby and I were seated a few rows apart...and I got stuck next to Barfing Barbara.  5 minutes into the flight she upchucked more than a Thanksgiving dinner--in the bag, on her lap.....yep the 2 hour flight was rather stinky--especially once she felt the need to turn and talk to me the entire time.  I turned around once to see Bobby chuckling, thankful he wasn't in my shoes or HE would be barfing right back at her.

<<Denver to Chicago (smooth, quiet, and quick).

<<Chicago to Brussels (long & restless)
About 5 hours into the flight an elderly man got sick and continued to puke every 15 minutes for the last 3 hours of the flight.  Luckily he was not next to us, but the sound was enough to keep us awake during this overnight flight.

Yes, the first day was a little restless, and rather pukey---but we were on our way!  I remember us saying how quickly the time went, especially being we didn't have more than a wink of a layover all day.  

Arriving in Brussels brought on Day 2---our first Congo experience....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment