Thursday, January 19, 2012

Here we go again!

Well, it looks like God may be answering some prayers in a VERY different way than we had expected!  If you read my previous post you know that we have really been praying and hoping to welcome a little one into our family in 2012.  Of course we thought if that were to happen, it would be a child from Ethiopia. 

We signed an application today with America World to pursue a concurrent adoption.  The wait times for Ethiopia have increased in the last few months and it is projected that the wait times will only continue to increase at this time.  Not only do the wait times continue to increase, but we are #70 on the "unofficial" wait list through our agency.  Nothing is confirmed, but Bobby and I feel we are being realistic in thinking/preparing for a MUCH longer wait than we had anticipated (maybe into a couple or a few years).

That realization made us really start questioning what our role is supposed to be NOW in caring for orphans.  Our hearts are 100% open to welcoming a child SOON.  As soon as we decided to adopt we knew we'd either adopt siblings or adopt two children at some point.  We really feel that for two adoptive children to grow up together would be very beneficial for them and their experiences/loss/etc.  BUT we never considered the fact that could mean another adoption BEFORE our Ethiopian adoption.

God quickly showed us that sometimes we just need to ignore the excuses and listen to what He is telling us.  Both Bobby and I feel that we are ready and willing to bring home a child NOW. 


On Tuesday I spoke with our family coordinator from AWAA and our social worker who did our home study.  We were first throwing around the idea of adopting through the foster care system, as that would mean hardly any extra costs.  Larissa (our social worker) informed us that the wait for an infant/toddler through foster care is very long and a rare situation.  She suggested if we were wanting domestic, we look into a domestic infant adoption (which typically means $20-30K). 


Obviously our only hurdle at this point is the funding.  I was up all night asking God, "HOW? There is NO WAY we could afford another adoption right now.  Our hearts are there and we are willing, but it's impossible." I woke up with a reassuring feeling that God has led us down this path.  He equipped us both from a very young age to work with children and be parents.  He has led us into a ministry of caring for orphans and He is using us to bring hope to fatherless children.  The numbers are overwhelming and large, but He is MUCH biggerIf this is the road He has laid before us we are willing to suffer a little.

Wednesday morning I got a call from Larissa telling us that the adoption agency her family is using for the DRC (Congo) is looking for a family for twin girls.  Unfortunately I was in meetings all day but as soon as I got home I pulled their picture up and almost fell over.  We know now that these girls are not meant to be our daughters, but I cannot explain the feeling that came over me!  I couldn't stop the tears from falling and my heart from racing.  There is just something about those black babies that gets my heart just a pounding!!!  God definitely has given me a heart for Africa and this confirmed those feelings I knew all along. 

 



Though nothing is signed and set in stone, Bobby and I are leaning at a concurrent adoption through the DRC.  The agency we have been talking to for the DRC tells us we would be #1 on their list for a baby girl....and the baby could easily be VERY young.  But, the process through the DRC is quite different than Ethiopia.  We would more than likely receive a referral within 1-2 months after we submit our paperwork.  BUT, for this program we would not travel there for another 5-6 months (AHHH...I can't imagine seeing our baby's face and waiting another 5-6 months to meet her!). 

I wanted to share this info with all of you so you could pray for our family through this tough decision/process!  Pray that we get some guidance in our decisions and that if this is where we are meant to be that we will figure out a financial plan to make an adoption work SO QUICKLY. 
Just as He has rescued us, we are called to stand in the strength of His unconditional love to embrace the homeless children of the world.  He is calling us to redeem lives crushed by the circumstances of their birth.  He is calling us to save them, to lift them out.  And then, like the Father has carried us, we must carry them in love, with the strength of His mercy....and bring them home.
 --Jan Beazely "The Strength of Mercy"

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight." Prov 3:5-6

Love from our family to YOURS!

5 comments:

  1. Praying Courtney. Sounds so very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, Praying you see an answer from God in a very real way. I am very interested to see how it goes and what your decision is. Take care!
    Dawn Kicklighter

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are praying for you and your new baby, where ever he/she may be. Your hearts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are in a similar situation with AWAA - number 65 on the list and pursuing concurrent adoption with Lifeline but still for Ethiopia. Just wondering who you are using.

    Ashley
    ashleyhhill@hotmail.com
    www.ourhillsong.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley we are using A Love Beyond Borders. They are one of the few agencies that work in a region of the DRC that will allow parents to have more than two children at home. They also do not have a waiting list so we are #1 on their list! We really want as long as possible between the two adoptions.
      I'm excited to follow your story! Curious how long your wait is?? I'll get onto your blog!

      Delete