Well, the inlaws were unable to come over for Christmas, but we kept very busy with all the family we have in town!
Christmas Eve was spent opening presents in the morning, out at the farm with the Kolar clan duing the day, and at the candlelight church service and Grandma Gayda's house in the evening. On Christmas Day we opened more presents (Santa) and went over to my parent's house for our annual prime rib FEAST!
I don't know why, but I took fewer pictures this year than ever before! But here are a few highlights:
This year I started having reservations about the celebration of Santa...why it's done, where our hearts are focused, etc. At the same time, I truly believe in supporting childrens' imaginations and therefore had a hard time giving it up completely. Bobby and I agreed we would still get Santa gifts but if our kids ever asked, we would tell them the truth. For some reason (God's planning???) shortly after our discussion, Eli started asking MANY questions about Santa. The first question a few weeks before Christmas was, "So mommy, Santa is kind of like a helper to God, right? He has powers like God?" I was dumbfounded (why, I don't know) at his logic and was quick to tell him that ONLY God has "magical" powers. He didn't ask anything more at the time but I could tell the gears were clicking. Then the questions started coming....why all the santas around the world look different (on tv, in malls, etc), why some kids don't get gifts, how does Santa deliver all the gifts if he can't do magic, etc. And then one morning while my SIL, Ally, was watching the kids they decided to write letters to Santa. Here is Eli's letter:
Christmas Eve was spent opening presents in the morning, out at the farm with the Kolar clan duing the day, and at the candlelight church service and Grandma Gayda's house in the evening. On Christmas Day we opened more presents (Santa) and went over to my parent's house for our annual prime rib FEAST!
I don't know why, but I took fewer pictures this year than ever before! But here are a few highlights:
Eli, Ayla, and Owen on Christmas Eve
You can tell the gears were clicking this entire time. We were trying to get around the questions without answering them, and of course sticking to our promise of no lying! Then came Christmas night. After two long days of celebrating (celebrating Christ's birth, that is--not Santa) while being put to bed Eli probes some more, "Daddy, tell me the truth. Is Santa real." For some reason I walked into Eli's room right at this moment and Bobby and I were able to have an open discussion with Eli about the TRUTH. He took our answers very seriously and well. It is obvious that he knew this entire Christmas season that Santa wasn't real. Maybe it was because we never say the typical parenting remarks, "you better be good or Santa won't come" or didn't focus this season on getting more more more.
To be honest, I was a little saddened that this "dream" has ended in his heart...but all along it was in God's timing. This was the first year ever that Bobby and I questioned celebrating Santa and we were easily reminded how far off our society is in keeping Christ the center of Christmas.
We will still do stockings and "pretend" that Santa leaves gifts....but our children will know the truth about the one and only miracle maker! Still not sure how this will work out (Ayla was not a part of the conversation and Eli hasn't said anything to her---which we didn't even bring up). You'll have to stay tuned for next year's CHRISTmas season to find out what happens with our Santa saga;)
I hope your Christmas was a wonderful celebration filled with lots of love, laughter, and happiness!
P.S. In Ethiopia gift giving is a very small part of Christmas celebration. Children usually receive very simple presents such as clothing and Santa is not celebrated (*wink*)
No comments:
Post a Comment