Saturday, January 21, 2012

Leap of Faith

You may have noticed the change in our blog header... we have changed the name of our blog to...
Waiting on SEVEN.


Yes, it's true.  We are taking a complete leap of faith and following what God is calling us to do.  We were provisionally approved by AWAA for a concurrent adoption.  In these last few days I have spent numerous hours on the phone and online searching out agencies, timelines, costs, etc.  The way this all came about is just crazy and seems quite spontaneous....but we have no doubts this is right for our family.

(If you haven't read my previous post, you may want to do so before reading this one...may be a little easier to understand)


Many different agencies will tell you that you cannot adopt from the DRC if you have more than 2 children already at home.  When we first started the adoption process we didn't even consider the fact that those types of requirements could be waived in certain cases (and therefore didn't even look at the DRC).  When we decided to go ahead with a concurrent adoption we would have totally overlooked the Congo if it weren't for our social worker, Larissa. 


As soon as we told her we were thinking about a concurrent adoption she was thinking the DRC for our family (her family has recently accepted a referral from the DRC!!).  She did know one of our big concerns was the funding, but being a Godly women, she knew we should not put monetary concerns as our road block. 

Larissa quickly got me in contact with A Love Beyond Borders and from there we were hooked.  As I said in the previous post, we always knew we would SOME DAY adopt two children....just didn't know it would come this quickly.    God obviously had a plan for our family and the children we will welcome into our home!!!!!  How absolutely perfect will it be to have two African children to grow in our home together?!?!??  They will share some cultural background and will have each other to share their life experiences with.

Soooo....we have mailed in our application to A Love Beyond Borders for a baby girl from the DRC!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I still cannot believe it.  We are still unsure how the funding will come together but we are certain this is right.  We are certain this is God's plan for our family. 


A few details into what this is looking like for our family:
  1.  ALBB agency does not currently have a wait list for the DRC.  That means we are (as soon as our contract is in their hands) #1 on their baby girl list.
  2. They are anticipating (not set in stone but a good guess) that as soon as our paperwork is ready we will get a referral for a baby girl within 1-3 months.
  3.  After we accept our referral our dossier will be sent, a court date will be set up, certification and paperwork will be done in the DRC, we wait for the USCIS to give us the okay to bring this child home, and then we travel to pick our baby girl up!  The process from referral to being home will be a 5-6 month time frame.
  4. We are currently # 70 on the unofficial wait list through America World for our Ethiopian adoption. 
  5. After welcoming home a baby girl from the DRC we will be changing our request for EITHER gender 0-2 from Ethiopia.
  6. Nothing is official (as things continue to change with wait times in Ethiopia) but we are expecting a wait time of 1-3 years for a referral from Ethiopia
  7. We will have at least a year between welcoming our two children home.  If we feel like we need more time, AWAA will allow us to keep our "spot in line" until we are ready to welcome our second child home.
To be honest, I am scared.  I have no hesitancies about welcoming these children into our home.  BUT, the finances are going to be tough.  We are willing to sacrafice so we can help these children.  I cannot even type the numbers we will need for both adoptions...but we are open, willing, and ready to face what is needed to make it work.


PLEASE be praying for our family and for the finances to come together.  I will be posting many updates...posts, timeline, info about the DRC, etc in the next few days!
Our inspiration today:
You are the helper of the fatherless. LORD, You have heard the desire of the humble; You will prepare their heart; You will cause Your ear to hear, To do justice to the fatherless and the oppressed, That the man of the earth may oppress no more. 
Psalms 10:14,17-18
On Thursday night after I wrote my last blog post, Bobby and I were sitting on the couch and Eli came up to me out of the blue and said, "Mommy, you should trust Jesus."  He had no clue what we were wrestling with.  I asked why he said that and he responded, "I just wanted you to know that."  I just love when God uses my children to open my eyes.  I pray each day that they continue to live their lives with faith like a child.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Love from our family to yours!

5 comments:

  1. whoo-hoo! Congrats! That is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how, but I know in my heart that God will provide and bless you and your family with everything you need to move forward! My heart is so touched by your committment to follow the calling that God has put on your hearts for these precious souls! Blessing and prayers from the Bylers. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that I "found" your blog! I will be praying for your family :O).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So exciting!!! I was just reading along the other day and connected the dots I bought your t-shirt the week we signed on to adopt from ET! Very excited to follow along...we will be 7 too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so great to connect with other DRC families! We are in process of adopting a baby girl we've been matched with for 5 months. Can't wait to see the big ways God provides for your family!

    Lindsay
    proverbs2412.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete