If you'd like to take a ride on a true emotional rollercoaster....adopt a child! This process has gone very well for Bobby and I. I would say we both have a strength in realizing when there are things we cannot control and give our concerns to God. But, not only does adoption come with so many uncertainties, it also comes with facing people who are against adoption, against biracial families, or people who just don't understand why.
I try not to let comments get to me, but I will admit there have been times when my heart just sinks and I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs! Whether it's someone simply saying:
Not one of these comments makes us ever question what we are doing or why we are doing it. BUT, it still hurts a mother's heart! Even though we have heard each of those above comments, 90% of people we know are extremely supportive and joyful for us. I often let little moments pass by without giving thanks and so I thought I would share some of the sweetest things we have encountered:
This support and love reminded me of Ephesians 4 when Paul reminds us that God calls us each to do different things but yet we must work together, giving each other support.
Ephesians 4:16
From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
We all are not called to adopt, but we can ALL do something to help HIS fatherless children of the world.
Love from our family to yours!
I try not to let comments get to me, but I will admit there have been times when my heart just sinks and I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs! Whether it's someone simply saying:
"But adoption is soooo much money" orand the list goes on.
"You're going to have ANOTHER child?" or
"Gee you really like a busy house, huh?" or
"I don't understand why people adopt but each to their own" or
"I don't think people should adopt unless they have the funds to do so."
Not one of these comments makes us ever question what we are doing or why we are doing it. BUT, it still hurts a mother's heart! Even though we have heard each of those above comments, 90% of people we know are extremely supportive and joyful for us. I often let little moments pass by without giving thanks and so I thought I would share some of the sweetest things we have encountered:
- Our parents were all overjoyed when we told them we were going to adopt and have supported us 100% throughout the process
- We have so many people constantly telling us they are praying for our family
- My sister-in-law Ally graciously watches our kiddos for us on Wednesdays while I worked from 8-11....allowing us no child care costs and more money to put toward our adoption.
- My mother watches our children on Tuesdays and Thursdays while I work...again from the kindness of her motherly heart!
- Dear friends Rayma, Maria. and Clara have watched our kiddos for us while we run adoption errands to the post office, doctor appointments, etc.
- At our lasagna dinner one family put a bag full of coins in the collection with a note from a child reading "For you to bring your baby home." PRICELESS
- Our friends Kevin and Mandy told their daughter about our adoption and she is choosing to give her "giving" portion of her allowance to our adoption
- We have been given donations from high school friends, college friends, and a few people we hardly even know
- Our dear friends Brian and Becky supported us and included a note from Becky that read, "We want to be a part of this adoption. Thank you for letting us be a part of changing a child's life."
- Numerous other family and friends have given us donations through attending our dinner, buying a shirt, or just giving to us.
- Friends Bill and Joan gave us a buck (deer) that is helping us feed our family and bringing down our grocery bills for this winter (again, more funds for our adoption!)
- One of my bestest friends Sarah did a fundraising Premier Designs Jewelry show for us and gave 90% of her earnings to us (right around $800!!!!)
- We've made many blogging and adopting family friends that continually give us emotional support
- Even though we are just waiting, we have dozens of friends who continually ask us about the process, how things are going, etc--showing they care!
This support and love reminded me of Ephesians 4 when Paul reminds us that God calls us each to do different things but yet we must work together, giving each other support.
Ephesians 4:16
From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
We all are not called to adopt, but we can ALL do something to help HIS fatherless children of the world.
Love from our family to yours!

No comments:
Post a Comment