October 24, 2012:
Addy slept most of the night snuggled between the two of us. She woke up around 4, looked at us and was as confused as ever. I put her on my chest and she quickly nuzzled up to my neck and fell back asleep for a couple more hours.
When we were up for the day, Bobby and I were anxious to get her bathed, cleaned up, and bond. When we first went to put her in the bathtub she looked at us like we were absolutely crazy. She refused to sit down, until I forced her legs to bend and she continued to give us looks of, "Who are you and what are you doing to me."
By her reaction, I'm guessing this was her first all out bath.....she didn't cry or whine, but was definitely not sure what on earth was going on!
She remained very uneasy and timid for the first couple of hours--never crying, but obviously out of sorts.
It wasn't until meeting Josee at breakfast that Addy opened up a bit. As soon as she saw Josee she lit up and smiled. She even downed a yogurt, some potatoes, and a few bites of mango for breakfast!
We spent the rest of the day in our room cuddling her and trying to get her to feel comfortable (oh, and napping---we were soooooo tired!). We got to skype for a bit with the kids back home and it was so great to see their faces!!!!! I was reminded of how sweet it would be when we arrived back in ND--our whole family together!!!!
Addy started to open up a bit more as the day went on, but once again showed us her true personality when we met A and Josee for dinner. I am so thankful we were able to spend the week with them---it definitely helped Addy transition from all she has ever known to these two crazy white people who were all over her!
Wednesday evenings at Hotel Royal bring live African Jazz and a dinner buffet. We started the evening in the courtyard by the music, but quickly moved inside as we were being swarmed by people smoking. Once inside we could still enjoy the music--and had quick access to the buffet!
This dinner was such a treat! I wish I had taken a picture of our plates! Beef, tuna, salmon, chicken, tons of salads (including one with crab/tuna stuffed in large tomatoes), potatoes----but the sauces.....OH MY!!!! They were D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S! There was one spicy orange sauce that I swear lit my mouth on fire---yet I couldn't stop eating it! We also had to try out their local brew that we had heard so much about----and it was very tasty as well almost like a Blue Moon without the citrusy taste.
It was a great evening to say the least! After dinner A and Josee came up to our room for a bit and we sat on the balcony watching the streets below us. The three of us still couldn't get over the poverty that surrounded us. I almost felt horrible as we sat and stared at the streets below, almost as if it were a tv show we were watching.
We had a great talk about our faith in the Lord and how we can't imagine living the life they do and really feel there is a God that loves you beyond all measure---yet most of them do! It's amazing how God can make them feel His love and presence in such poverty and sickness.
I got a sick feeling in my stomach thinking of all the times I've wondered, "Where are you God?" over such silly mundane issues. I complain about a rough day in my comfy house with my healthy kids....and there are moms living on the streets with their infants and children---many whom are infected with numerous diseases.
Addy slept most of the night snuggled between the two of us. She woke up around 4, looked at us and was as confused as ever. I put her on my chest and she quickly nuzzled up to my neck and fell back asleep for a couple more hours.
When we were up for the day, Bobby and I were anxious to get her bathed, cleaned up, and bond. When we first went to put her in the bathtub she looked at us like we were absolutely crazy. She refused to sit down, until I forced her legs to bend and she continued to give us looks of, "Who are you and what are you doing to me."
By her reaction, I'm guessing this was her first all out bath.....she didn't cry or whine, but was definitely not sure what on earth was going on!
She remained very uneasy and timid for the first couple of hours--never crying, but obviously out of sorts.
It wasn't until meeting Josee at breakfast that Addy opened up a bit. As soon as she saw Josee she lit up and smiled. She even downed a yogurt, some potatoes, and a few bites of mango for breakfast!
We spent the rest of the day in our room cuddling her and trying to get her to feel comfortable (oh, and napping---we were soooooo tired!). We got to skype for a bit with the kids back home and it was so great to see their faces!!!!! I was reminded of how sweet it would be when we arrived back in ND--our whole family together!!!!
Addy started to open up a bit more as the day went on, but once again showed us her true personality when we met A and Josee for dinner. I am so thankful we were able to spend the week with them---it definitely helped Addy transition from all she has ever known to these two crazy white people who were all over her!
Wednesday evenings at Hotel Royal bring live African Jazz and a dinner buffet. We started the evening in the courtyard by the music, but quickly moved inside as we were being swarmed by people smoking. Once inside we could still enjoy the music--and had quick access to the buffet!
This dinner was such a treat! I wish I had taken a picture of our plates! Beef, tuna, salmon, chicken, tons of salads (including one with crab/tuna stuffed in large tomatoes), potatoes----but the sauces.....OH MY!!!! They were D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S! There was one spicy orange sauce that I swear lit my mouth on fire---yet I couldn't stop eating it! We also had to try out their local brew that we had heard so much about----and it was very tasty as well almost like a Blue Moon without the citrusy taste.
It was a great evening to say the least! After dinner A and Josee came up to our room for a bit and we sat on the balcony watching the streets below us. The three of us still couldn't get over the poverty that surrounded us. I almost felt horrible as we sat and stared at the streets below, almost as if it were a tv show we were watching.
We had a great talk about our faith in the Lord and how we can't imagine living the life they do and really feel there is a God that loves you beyond all measure---yet most of them do! It's amazing how God can make them feel His love and presence in such poverty and sickness.
I got a sick feeling in my stomach thinking of all the times I've wondered, "Where are you God?" over such silly mundane issues. I complain about a rough day in my comfy house with my healthy kids....and there are moms living on the streets with their infants and children---many whom are infected with numerous diseases.
Oh how I pray that they will inherit the highest seats in glory one day!
1 Samuel 2:7-8
The LORD sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts. He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes and has them inherit a throne of honor.
Courtney - I am just getting caught up on your blog, I was following the waitingonsix address so didn't see these updates!! I have been crying reading your story of going to the Congo to pick up Addy - what an amazing story!!! Please keep the blog posts coming, I can't wait to hear more!
ReplyDelete