Monday, November 26, 2012

Congo Adventures Day 3 Part 2--Addy's in OUR Arms!!!

The rest of Day 3 (Tuesday, October 23, 2012):

I fumbled around with my phone as we drove through the big metal gates, quickly asking C if she could record this special moment. After all the waiting, praying, and dreaming, we were FINALLY here. In just a matter of seconds, I would meet my baby girl!

The next two minutes went by so quickly that I could hardly catch my breath. Just seconds after I handed C the camera, I spotted two nannies walking out the door. And there, in the arms of one of them, was OUR ADDY!!!!

My heart was racing, and the tears came instantly. The car had barely stopped before I was jumping out to get my baby girl. I hurried over to the nannies and wrapped Addy in the sweetest embrace E.V.E.R! Even now, I can't think about that moment without tears filling my eyes.

There she was. Our Addy. Our precious little girl whom we had prayed for, dreamed about, and loved from thousands of miles away. After so many months of waiting, she was finally in her mommy's arms, just days before turning nine months old. I can't even begin to describe how tightly she grabbed me. I held her close, hugging and kissing her sweet little face, and then pulled back just enough to let her look at me. She didn't cry or reach for the nannies. She simply sat in my arms, staring at me as I tried to soak in every second of the moment I had imagined for so long.



Of course, Bobby was more than ready to hold his daughter, too! He finally pried her out of my arms so he could have a turn bonding with his baby girl. While they enjoyed a few moments together, I went around hugging the nannies and thanking them over and over again. They were so excited and giggly, and I couldn't have been more grateful for these wonderful women who had spent so many months caring for our girl.

Within moments of our arrival, the other eight nannies and 23 children made their way down the stairs to greet us. Suddenly, we were surrounded! Within minutes, I had at least five kiddos wrapped around my legs. We stopped to take a few pictures of those unforgettable first moments before heading inside.

As we walked through the door, one of the nannies handed out suckers to everyone, including Addy and all the tiny babies. ;) I have to admit that I selfishly remained standing for a while because it was the easiest way to get a little one-on-one time with our girl without ten other children climbing all over me! I simply couldn't take my eyes off her. I wanted to study every little feature, hold her close, and squeeze her over and over again.

 

Eventually, my arms began to give out. After all, I was holding 23 pounds of PURE SWEETNESS! I finally sat down on the floor, and within seconds, there were children all around us, eager for love and attention. I set Addy down beside her playmates and spent some time playing with the other children.

There were 24 children living in the house, ranging in age from four months to eight years old, and every single one of them was beautiful. Their smiles and laughter were absolutely uplifting. Although we couldn't communicate with words, that didn't keep us from playing, laughing, hugging, and showing one another love. I couldn't help wishing I could bring every one of those precious kiddos home! Twenty-four children, each with a unique story, a history, and a future.

I was reminded of Jeremiah 29:11 and the promise that the Lord knows the plans He has for His people, giving them hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.



After some time playing, it was time for the children's lunch of chicken and rice. As they gathered around the table, I walked from child to child, writing down names and clothing sizes for their mommies back home. Some of the children finished their meals within minutes, while others took nearly half an hour. Once they were excused, they made their way to a large water jug to wash their hands before heading back outside to play.

We lingered inside for a little while, having absolutely no idea that we were about to be part of a DANCE PARTY!!!!

One of the nannies pulled out her phone and turned up the music. She started dancing, and before long, a few more nannies and children joined in. And then Bobby decided to join the fun! He was holding Addy and started dancing around a little, and OH MY GOODNESS, you should have seen those nannies! They started screaming and laughing and simply couldn't get enough of it.

For the next ten minutes, the music played while everyone danced around the room. A few of the children looked at us as though we had completely lost our minds, but most of them giggled and happily joined the party. One nanny kept shimmying up next to Bobby, and everyone would absolutely LOSE IT every time!

It was hilarious! Who would have thought that watching my husband dance around a room full of Congolese women would become one of my favorite memories of the day?!

As much as I loved every moment at the transition house, one of the hardest parts of the day was sharing my Addy with the nannies. The night before, we had learned about J, one particular nanny who had become very attached to Addy, or "Generose," as she was known at the house. D had told us that it was probably best that J wasn't scheduled to work that day because she was having such a difficult time with Addy's departure.

But apparently, J couldn't resist spending one more day with her girl. She came in to meet us and ended up spending the entire day with us! It was incredibly special to get to know her and see the bond she shared with Addy. At the same time, I have to admit that it was TOUGH for this brand-new mommy to share her baby girl when all I wanted to do was hold her myself!

Whenever Addy was in my arms, J would watch us, smiling at nearly every little thing we did. It was impossible not to see how deeply she loved our daughter.

Addy had been part of the first group of children to move into the transition house on July 10, and she and J had connected almost immediately. J was the one who pierced Addy's ears, encouraged her to crawl, and snuggled her to pieces. Their relationship was incredibly special, and I couldn't help but love this woman who had poured so much love into our daughter when we couldn't be there.

Several times throughout the day, I walked over and placed Addy in J's arms, watching her face light up with a love that was impossible to describe.

At one point, J told C, who was interpreting for us, that she would never be able to look at another baby without thinking of her Generose. She loved her so much that she knew she would cry every time she heard her name.

Oh, my heart!

All day long, we heard J and the other nannies calling out, "Gennie! Gennie!" Each time, Addy would turn her head toward them and let out a little giggle. It was such a sweet reminder of the love and familiarity that surrounded our girl during her first months of life.

We spent much of the afternoon outside, playing with the children and watching them enjoy one another's company. The girls played hand-clapping games, practiced little rhythms, and styled their dolls' hair, while the boys played with toy cars and chased Bobby around the yard. It was such a joy to watch them doing the very same kinds of things children do back home.


During a quieter moment, Bobby and I decided it would be a good time to hand out the gifts we had brought for the nannies. Before leaving for Congo, I had purchased gifts for ten women, only to learn shortly before our trip that we also needed to buy gifts for a few men. Somehow, that little detail completely slipped my mind until we were already on our way to Congo!

Thankfully, I had packed two large garbage bags full of parade candy for the children. I figured I could divide some of it into smaller bags to give to the men. Perfect! The women would receive nail polish, body spray, and Dove chocolates, while the men would each get a generous bag of candy.

Simple enough, right?!?!

WRONG!!!!

Bobby set out the nail polish and body spray and told the women to choose one of each. BIG MISTAKE! Everyone went absolutely NUTS! Men and women were scrambling around one another, digging through the bags, debating colors and fragrances, and arguing back and forth in French. Bobby tried to explain that the candy was for the men and handed each of them a bag, but a few of the women spotted it and immediately began pleading for some for themselves.

The whole scene became so chaotic that C, who had been in the kitchen, came out to find out what on earth was happening! Thankfully, she was able to ask us what we had intended and explain everything to the staff.

Once everyone understood, they were incredibly appreciative and delighted with their little gifts. It amazed us how something as simple as nail polish, body spray, or a bag of candy could bring so much excitement. I don't think I'll ever be able to paint my nails again without remembering that afternoon!

Another thing we quickly discovered was that the nannies L.O.V.E.D having their pictures taken! Every few minutes, someone would get our attention and ask us to take another photo. At one point, I was called into the house to find all ten women lined up and ready for their picture.

But their greatest joy? Getting their pictures taken with BOBBY!

Apparently, my good-looking husband was quite the celebrity with these Congolese women! They would wrap their arms around him for a picture and then dissolve into uncontrollable giggles. Under normal circumstances, that much attention toward my hubby might have made my blood boil, but I honestly couldn't stop laughing at how silly and excited they were!

  

At one point during the afternoon, I realized that J had put Addy down for a nap. Naturally, I couldn't stay away from my girl, so I headed down the hallway to peek in on her. Okay, let's be honest. I was really hoping to scoop her up for another cuddle!

I looked in the first room but couldn't find her.
I checked the next two rooms and still didn't see her.
Finally, another nanny came over and showed me that Addy had been in the very first room all along.

Ha! I just hadn't thought to look on the TOP BUNK, where she was sleeping alongside three other babies!

It had been a long day, and we were exhausted, but I couldn't help feeling sad as I realized our time with the children was almost over. We sat outside for about an hour, enjoying those last precious moments, until the nannies called everyone inside to change into pajamas and have their evening snack of porridge made from puréed soybeans, peanuts, and dried mushrooms.

Not long afterward, our driver arrived to take us back to the hotel. We hugged the nannies and bent down to give each child one final squeeze before climbing into the car.

As soon as the door closed, my eyes filled with tears. I looked back at the children sitting on the steps, waving goodbye to Generose and Josee, A's eight-year-old daughter. It was almost more than I could bear.

As we pulled away from the big metal gate, the tears turned into sobs. And I cried nearly the entire way back to the hotel.

The drive was incredibly surreal. Our driver had turned on some soft African music, and we sat quietly in the back seat as the car bounced along the streets of Kinshasa. My emotions were completely overwhelming. I was SO incredibly happy that Addy was finally with us, yet I couldn't help feeling a sense of sadness as we took her away from the house where she had received so much love and care.

Everything we saw along the streets of Kinshasa was so different from the life we were preparing to bring her home to in the United States. It was difficult to comprehend how much our daughter's world was about to change.

I held my sleeping baby girl tightly, thanking Jesus for the love He had shown us through the people who had cared for her and praying that we would spend every day of her life showing her that same love.

For most of the hour-long drive, we hardly spoke. Every once in a while, I would turn and look at Josee, who was staring intently out the window, quietly taking everything in.

Surreal. Unbelievable. Overwhelming.

When we finally arrived back at the hotel, we washed up and cuddled our sweet Addy to sleep. As exhausted and emotional as I was, I couldn't stop thinking about the incredible day we had just experienced.

This was the day we had longed for. The day we had prayed about, dreamed about, and waited so patiently to experience.

Addy was finally ours FOREVER!!!!

Every ache, every disappointment, every long month of waiting seemed to fade in comparison with the joy she had brought us. The journey had been long and difficult, but oh, how it was worth every single moment! In many ways, it reminded me of the pains of labor and the incredible joy that follows when a precious child finally arrives.

 

I couldn't help thinking about John 16:21, which describes the anguish of childbirth giving way to joy when a baby is born.

John 16:21
When a woman is giving birth, she has sorrow because her hour has come, but when she has delivered the baby, she no longer remembers the anguish, for joy that a human being has been born into the world. 

What a beautiful picture of everything we were feeling.

Our sweet girl was finally in our arms, and we couldn't have been more grateful for the journey that had brought us to her.

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this journey for us to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. choking back tears. tears rolling down my face. loud laughter. pure joy. all things i just experienced reading this beautiful post. i am so glad Addy is home. where she belongs. where God always knew she would be. designed just for you... that blows my mind. thanks for all you have done courtney. sharing your time with our children in the TH. something i will never forget. what a beautiful blessing you are to so many people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazingly beautiful!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just made me cry! So happy for you. Thank you for sharing this special moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for this post! I found your blog just searching in Congo adoption blogs. And I am just staring at these pictures over and over. Our future son, Kashala, is the four month old baby boy in that house. Seeing pictures of where he is, and especially seeing pictures of his loving nannies, is so overwhleming. I am so overjoyed knowing how well he is being taken care of and loved. Thank you so much. We feel very lucky to be working with this wonderful agency. Love the pictures, and congratulations!! I hope to be there soon meeting my baby boy...
    My name is Jen, and I live in Minnesota. I'd love to talk more about your experience and how things are going now, if you'd be willing. my email is timandjen@gmail
    Again, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EWWW! GROSS!! You're right; your hair looks disgusting! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your experience! My husband and I are adopting from DRC and are waiting for our son's medical exam to be completed so our embassy appointment can be made. It is reassuring to see how well cared for the babies are. We can only pray that our little guy is just as well cared for. I appreciate you sharing your experience---we keep wondering what to expect!

    ReplyDelete