Saturday, August 11, 2012

Crazy Beautiful

These past two weeks have been crazy, stressful (it takes me a lot to get stressed but I can be honest and say it's been S-T-R-E-S-S-F-U-L), fun, hard, long, but beautiful beyond measure.

I work part time as a literacy coach for the public schools.  It's a job right up my alley...in leadership, time with kids, and learning/teaching about literacy!  With Addy soon joining our family and the lack of maternity leave, I've been working MUCH more than part time to build up days off!  In addition to work, I have the day to day crazyness of being a mom and wife, and preparing to bring Addy home.  Bobby's been working sooooo hard on our new house and is often BEAT when he comes home that we've had hardly any time to just sit down and chat! 

All this and then we receive a phone call to bring in two foster girls. 

WHAT?  God, why now?!??!  I don't get stressed, but I'm stressed right now and you want to throw this at me?!?!??!?! 

We brought the girls into our home on Tuesday and were unable to leave the house (even to the park next door) until Friday. (I did get a breather as my mom came over to watch the kids on Thursday as I worked---PHEW!!).  Needless to say, Wednesday was a L-O-N-G day. 

But it was BEAUTIFUL.  I had no clue when we were called to take in the girls that they were black...no clue that bringing them in would give me a great initiation into black (natural) hair care!  I had no clue how sweet, loving, fun, and silly these girls were.  I had no clue they would bond as closely with our kids as they have.

As I sat down on Wednesday night, all five kids finally tucked in, Bobby gone at a meeting, I began to pray and reflect on the day (that long, hard, noisy day). 
From my journal Wednesday night:
"....I'm surprised I have any hair left after today.  Sugar coating aside, it's been a LONG 30 hours.  The girls aren't bad (they are actually wonderful), but having 5 kids stuck in a house in the middle of summer is not fun!  I had so many plans for this week.  Errands we needed to run.  Work that needed to be done.  But I've been pulled elsewhere.  I've been pulled exactly where I WANT to be....at home being a mommy...to many kids.   
Foster care, adoption, biological...whatever it may be, it's tough.  Yet my ups and downs are MINIMAL compared to so many (like these two beautiful girls lying in a stranger's bed trying so hard to rest their eyes for the night).  Yes a glorious, easy, comfortable life would be tempting....but I'm continually reminded that even our Savior  beared sweat and tears leading to the very day that He gave His life for ME... 
My sweat and tears are NOTHING compared to the price He had to pay.  God has reassured me time after time again that this is exactly where He wants me to be...and I can assure you He NEVER told me it was going to be easy.  It's time I tuck my tail in, stop complaining, and put my best foot forward in this CRAZY-BEAUTIFUL life I've been given."
Here I am, 3 days later, all 5 kids tucked tightly in bed, Bobby gone (this time out of town for state softball) and I'm refreshed.  I spent the last 24 hours with 7 girlfriends in Bismarck for an uplifting women's conference (with Lysa Terkeurst).  I'm ready to face what He has in store for me.  I believe Him enough to obey this calling He's placed in my life through the thick and thin.

"Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave Himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God." Ephesians 5:1-2
Love from my crazy-beautiful family to YOURS!


2 comments:

  1. So Awesome. You are AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are crazy beautiful... in EVERY WAY! You are an inspiration to me- the mom I hope I'll be some day.

    ReplyDelete