Monday, April 15, 2013

Two MUST READS on Orphan Care

I've been doing a lot reading lately on the ethics in adoption and orphan care.  This is not a light topic and is one that leaves my heart burdened for so many: orphans, birth parents, pregnant teenagers/young women, etc. 

When we started the adoption process we knew NOTHING about adoption.  The only thing we knew was God was calling us down this path.  We also had no friends who had walked this road and therefore didn't have anyone to talk to face to face about the realities and complex issues behind adoption.

Here we are, 2 years later with Addy in our home and waiting on our next 1 or 2 children.  I've lost countless nights of sleep reading books, blog, and articles about adoption, corruption, ethics, orphan care, etc etc.

Now I feel "stuck" in this global crisis that is too much to fathom.  This crisis has become a huge part of our lives and something we are committed to spreading the word about and committed to doing as much as we can for the fatherless children around the globe.

This crisis is MUCH more than just adopting the worlds orphans.  After all, even if we adopted every single orphaned child, there would be just as many back on the streets and in orphanages the next day. 

Two of the best things I've read recently on this topic are listed below.  I STRONGLY suggest anyone involved in adoption/orphan care reads both of these.  I also STRONGLY suggest any couple that is considering adoption to seek out others who have walked that road.  Ask the hard questions, keep ethics at the top of your plan ALWAYS, and reach out via facebook/blogs when you need more support or answers.   (I can tell you my social network friends have been the best source of information/support!)

Get reading....

1. Orphan Justice by Johnny Carr


Christians are clearly called to care for orphans, a group so close to the heart of Jesus. In reality, most of the 153 million orphaned and vulnerable children in the world do not need to be adopted, and not everyone needs to become an adoptive parent. However, there are other very important ways to help beyond adoption.

Indeed, caring for orphaned and vulnerable children requires us to care about related issues from child trafficking and HIV/AIDS to racism and poverty. Too often, we only discuss or theologize the issues, relegating the responsibility to governments.
No one can do everything, but everyone can do something. Based on his own personal journey toward pure religion, Johnny Carr moves readers from talking about global orphan care to actually doing something about it in Orphan Justice
.
I've read over 20 books on orphan care/adoption and I'd have to admit I think this one is the best yet.  I'm not going to even try writing a book review on this one...you'll get tons of quotes in posts to come.  Just trust me and READ IT!

2. This blog post: http://livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/2013/04/primum-non-nocere-first-do-no-harm.html
I'm a part of a couple groups that are all about ethics in adoptions.  This post was shared on one of the boards and it's definitely a must read.  I feel like with a few minor changes here and there, this could have been me writing this post.  It's my thoughts, feelings and concerns almost to a "T"

I've got many raw emotions about adoption.  Many that are too hard for me to express or share at this time.  But I am willing to sit down and talk adoption with anyone that would like more information.  Just be ready for an ear full!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment