Today was different that the past few days. We typically wake up, eat breakfast, wait for our ride, and head to visit the boys.
Today we chose to spend the morning visiting Korah.
When our driver first picked us up and we told him we wanted to visit Korah, he was stunned. Why would we want to visit Korah????? We've seen pictures and read about various ministries that are being Christ's hands and feet there, yet I just needed to see it for myself.
The way the day went, we didn't get to spend the time there that I had hoped to...and didn't get to visit a few of the ministries I was hoping to visit.
But it was enough.
Enough to break me more than I had thought.
With some unforeseen circumstances, we only had time to drive by the dump. In the end, I think it was what was best. Little Eli was completely speechless the entire time.
NOT ONE WORD.
It was enough to move me to instant tears and to stun Eli and Bobby....a drive by was probably a good thing.
But I won't forget.
Ever.
And I just know I will be doing something, great or small, to make a difference in Korah. And starting today, we'll be praying. Praying for the people---some tiny children--who live at the dump, the people whose only food comes from the dump, and the people who make a living digging through the dump to find the tiniest things they can sell.
This day was needed. Even if it were at a small scale.
We were also able to visit a ministry just blocks away from the dump. Embracing Hope is a day care for single moms. The children are sponsored so they can receive care while their mothers are at work.
Today we visited during music time and were able to witness the sweet singing and dancing. Eli got trampled by kiddos who just wanted to touch him, kiss him, or hug him!
Obviously our purpose in coming to Ethiopia was to meet and get to know our boys. It was hard to give up a morning visit with them, but I'm glad we did. The two hours we spent away from them was a great reminder of the needs there are in Ethiopia (and many other places). I know we'll be back here someday and will have more time to do hands on missions work...this trip was another reminder of how much our hands and feet are needed.
Quite honestly, I can't even process what we saw today--the life some people live while we are living in EXTREME comfort. It's hard to wrap your mind around or fully comprehend. These pictures do NO justice to the true vastness of this place....and so I encourage you to google Korah and really take a look into the lives in which other human beings live.
After the trip to Korah and lunch, we visited the boys for a couple hours. It was pouring rain while we were there, so we spent the two hours in their guest room while all the other children where in their rooms. It was one of the best times we've had with them, as it was just the five of us bonding (oh, and because we left all electronic devices behind!!).
We laughed.
D showed us some card tricks.
We played cards---today they showed us THEIR games;)
We talked bedroom stuff.
We picked out sheets for their beds.
N looked through our camera pictures for the 10th time, asking tons of questions.
They talked hunting dreams with Bobby.
We talked about court tomorrow.
We told them what their full names will be (they were very confused about last names!).
And the sweetest moment:
They wanted to know exactly what our plans are for tomorrow (court day). We explained what was going to happen and then D asked if we'd be back in the afternoon (like we are every other day). I explained that tomorrow we won't be able to because court is in the afternoon....and he got very sad. He had something up his sleeve for my birthday and was very sad he was not going to celebrate with me. Bobby assured them they could sing to me in the morning when we see them, and I told them that adding them to our family was the best gift ever. They both gave me big hugs and smiled like crazy!
I know I've said it a million times, and I'll say it a million more....these two are the sweetest, most wonderful boys....
I CANNOT WAIT FOR TOMORROW:)
Today we chose to spend the morning visiting Korah.
When our driver first picked us up and we told him we wanted to visit Korah, he was stunned. Why would we want to visit Korah????? We've seen pictures and read about various ministries that are being Christ's hands and feet there, yet I just needed to see it for myself.
The way the day went, we didn't get to spend the time there that I had hoped to...and didn't get to visit a few of the ministries I was hoping to visit.
But it was enough.
Enough to break me more than I had thought.
With some unforeseen circumstances, we only had time to drive by the dump. In the end, I think it was what was best. Little Eli was completely speechless the entire time.
NOT ONE WORD.
It was enough to move me to instant tears and to stun Eli and Bobby....a drive by was probably a good thing.
But I won't forget.
Ever.
And I just know I will be doing something, great or small, to make a difference in Korah. And starting today, we'll be praying. Praying for the people---some tiny children--who live at the dump, the people whose only food comes from the dump, and the people who make a living digging through the dump to find the tiniest things they can sell.
This day was needed. Even if it were at a small scale.
We were also able to visit a ministry just blocks away from the dump. Embracing Hope is a day care for single moms. The children are sponsored so they can receive care while their mothers are at work.
Today we visited during music time and were able to witness the sweet singing and dancing. Eli got trampled by kiddos who just wanted to touch him, kiss him, or hug him!
We absolutely love what they are doing and how this ministry helps the women of Korah.
Obviously our purpose in coming to Ethiopia was to meet and get to know our boys. It was hard to give up a morning visit with them, but I'm glad we did. The two hours we spent away from them was a great reminder of the needs there are in Ethiopia (and many other places). I know we'll be back here someday and will have more time to do hands on missions work...this trip was another reminder of how much our hands and feet are needed.
Quite honestly, I can't even process what we saw today--the life some people live while we are living in EXTREME comfort. It's hard to wrap your mind around or fully comprehend. These pictures do NO justice to the true vastness of this place....and so I encourage you to google Korah and really take a look into the lives in which other human beings live.
“He will bestow on them
a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendour.”
Isaiah 61:3
After the trip to Korah and lunch, we visited the boys for a couple hours. It was pouring rain while we were there, so we spent the two hours in their guest room while all the other children where in their rooms. It was one of the best times we've had with them, as it was just the five of us bonding (oh, and because we left all electronic devices behind!!).
We laughed.
D showed us some card tricks.
We played cards---today they showed us THEIR games;)
We talked bedroom stuff.
We picked out sheets for their beds.
N looked through our camera pictures for the 10th time, asking tons of questions.
They talked hunting dreams with Bobby.
We talked about court tomorrow.
We told them what their full names will be (they were very confused about last names!).
And the sweetest moment:
They wanted to know exactly what our plans are for tomorrow (court day). We explained what was going to happen and then D asked if we'd be back in the afternoon (like we are every other day). I explained that tomorrow we won't be able to because court is in the afternoon....and he got very sad. He had something up his sleeve for my birthday and was very sad he was not going to celebrate with me. Bobby assured them they could sing to me in the morning when we see them, and I told them that adding them to our family was the best gift ever. They both gave me big hugs and smiled like crazy!
I know I've said it a million times, and I'll say it a million more....these two are the sweetest, most wonderful boys....
I CANNOT WAIT FOR TOMORROW:)
I spent quite a bit of time in Korah 3 years ago and like you, it changed me. I was fortunate to spend several hours at the Bright Hope School that at that time was just being started. I must have stood for over an hour watching a man work on a chicken coop. I just couldn't get over how beautiful his work on this cement building was. Amazing craftsmanship with a five gallon bucket and small hand tool. Everyone there with me and my husband thought we were kinda nuts to just sit there in awe, but we farm, so, we appreciate a well built coop!
ReplyDeleteShortly after we arrived the man who ran the school found out my husband and I own a water well drilling business. He became so excited and wanted my husband to see the well they had just had drilled. So we trucked back up the hill to check it all out for him and make sure everything was running like it should. The pride on not only his face, but on all the faces of all the people there really took me back. It was like for the first time they had hope! Hope for a better life. Hope for their children's education, food in their bellies thanks to the farming projects, realization that someone does care about them. Amazing!
What an amazing blessing to give that glimpse into the lives of these precious people to Eli. Like you, he will never forget.
It has been so fun to follow your journey so far. Can't wait to see posts of your family when you are all together forever!