Thursday, August 1, 2013

Best Day Yet!!!!

Today we took our boys on a car ride out of Addis.  It was a breath of fresh air to get out of the city for awhile, and a completely breathtaking drive surrounded by villages, shepherds, and farmers. 
We even pulled off on the side of the road by some farmers and got to see their work up close (getting ready to plant teff)...our friend Chip even tried the plowing. 
To be honest, I don't quite know which falls we drove to...I thought we headed to the Blue Nile Gorge, but now know that is not where we were;)  We asked our guide where we were and he named a river that flows into the Blue Nile, but I can't seem to find the name on a map! 
Bridge built in the 16th century out of limestone and ostrich eggs!
Where we were doesn't really matter, because it was such an amazing day!  We got to spend almost a full day with our boys outside of the orphanage (which usually isn't permissible but our boys are still at their orphanage instead of the agency's transition house and their orphanage director gave us permission!). 
It was special to have this time with them both--cuddling, talking, and exploring!  Nahagi opened up sooooo much on the drive and told us numerous stories about his childhood as we drove through the farming villages.  It was so great to hear the stories and to see his excitement!  He was also a great source of information and knew all about the different people, plants, animals, etc. 

Plus, we got to see baboons.  Eli was hoping we'd see some sort of monkey on our trip and it was quite exciting to see them in the wild vs. the zoo!  We saw thousands of them around the falls and the village beside the falls.
Baboons on the cliff
I remember telling people I was worried they'd be too old to want to cuddle....guess I was wrong:)  Detcho slept on my lap on the way there, Nahagi on the way back!  Poor Nahagi wasn't feeling well though and it was so hard for me to just drop him off at the orphanage and not take care of him!
I don't know how we are going to leave these boys in 3 days....my heart just aches thinking about it!  But we're going to soak up as much time as we can over the next three days!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment