Some winter randomness from this month....
1. The big boys have been home for 4 months. That's a 1/3 of a year. That's crazy!
2. Our spunky Addy Rose turned 2. It's very bittersweet--the first 2 year old we have without another child on the way. My heart aches. A lot.
3. Sundays in Jan/Feb we have/are studying the book Orphan Justice through Embrace. It's my third time reading the book yet I learn more about orphan care each time I read it. I'm challenged once again to seek justice for the social ills that are connected to orphan care (poverty, HIV/AIDS, trafficking, abortion, racism, foster care, etc). The discussions we've been having are wonderful testimonies of the need to care for orphans MUCH beyond (and most times even before) adoption.
4. This winter has been cold. Really cold. As much as I love the warm winter days when the kids are outside all afternoon sledding, I've grown to really enjoy these days stuck inside. Okay, okay, so I don't like them while in the moment and I usually want to pull my hair out by 4pm.....but I really believe this physical closeness has helped our family connect. I looooove having the back-up, "just go outside and play," to help me get through days--and yes, I am eagerly awaiting spring. But looking back at the past month, I can smile and say it was worth the frozen nostrils, cooped up children, and constant chatter/bantering.
5. We've officially been in the adoption realm for 3 years. I can't even begin to express how much this journey has changed us--our marriage, our family (other than the 3 obvious ways!!), our faith. A process that started as a decision to adopt 1 or 2 children from Ethiopia drastically changed and led us to a new view of life. I'm not saying you need to adopt a child to experience this type of change....but for us, it was exactly what we needed and God used it to teach us how to live compassionately through faith in our every day walk with Him.
6. Tomorrow Bobby embarks on another journey across the seas, as he heads to Uganda. He is traveling with a team of 11 from our church body who will be serving at New Hope Uganda. Their primary focus will be to help complete a kitchen at Musana camps.
People keep asking if I'm ready for the 2 weeks without my second half......that takes a loaded answer! Yes, I'm ready for him to go and serve and very excited to see all that God has in store for this team. But of course he will be missed around our home! He's the one that makes the kiddos breakfast, packs the sack lunches, and picks the boys up from school. He helps wrangle the kids into bed each night, makes me coffee, and shovels/plows the long driveway. Those things I'm certain we can get through with some rearranging, flexibility, and frozen lunches :)
What I'll miss most is our night time visits, a good morning kiss, or the discipline/structure he brings to our family. It's hard to believe in our 9 years of marriage I can only think of 1 time he was away over night (without me). He's never gone...he's my encouragement and support that gets me through life.
Not to mention #1.....the big boys. Yes, they've been home for 4 months. Yes, the frozen tundra has brought us together. BUT, they thrive off Bobby's presence at night and don't try many antics when he's around :) [and of course, the youngest 4 will most definitely be missing their daddy as well!!]
We'd appreciate prayers over the next 2 weeks: for Bobby and the team traveling to Uganda (safety, health, work, unity, etc) and for our family (my sanity/patience/grace/energy, the children's hearts/behavior/unity).
1. The big boys have been home for 4 months. That's a 1/3 of a year. That's crazy!
2. Our spunky Addy Rose turned 2. It's very bittersweet--the first 2 year old we have without another child on the way. My heart aches. A lot.
(Addy's idea of a birthday photo session....her personality to a 'T'!!)
4. This winter has been cold. Really cold. As much as I love the warm winter days when the kids are outside all afternoon sledding, I've grown to really enjoy these days stuck inside. Okay, okay, so I don't like them while in the moment and I usually want to pull my hair out by 4pm.....but I really believe this physical closeness has helped our family connect. I looooove having the back-up, "just go outside and play," to help me get through days--and yes, I am eagerly awaiting spring. But looking back at the past month, I can smile and say it was worth the frozen nostrils, cooped up children, and constant chatter/bantering.
5. We've officially been in the adoption realm for 3 years. I can't even begin to express how much this journey has changed us--our marriage, our family (other than the 3 obvious ways!!), our faith. A process that started as a decision to adopt 1 or 2 children from Ethiopia drastically changed and led us to a new view of life. I'm not saying you need to adopt a child to experience this type of change....but for us, it was exactly what we needed and God used it to teach us how to live compassionately through faith in our every day walk with Him.
1 John 3:16-18
By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth.
6. Tomorrow Bobby embarks on another journey across the seas, as he heads to Uganda. He is traveling with a team of 11 from our church body who will be serving at New Hope Uganda. Their primary focus will be to help complete a kitchen at Musana camps.
People keep asking if I'm ready for the 2 weeks without my second half......that takes a loaded answer! Yes, I'm ready for him to go and serve and very excited to see all that God has in store for this team. But of course he will be missed around our home! He's the one that makes the kiddos breakfast, packs the sack lunches, and picks the boys up from school. He helps wrangle the kids into bed each night, makes me coffee, and shovels/plows the long driveway. Those things I'm certain we can get through with some rearranging, flexibility, and frozen lunches :)
What I'll miss most is our night time visits, a good morning kiss, or the discipline/structure he brings to our family. It's hard to believe in our 9 years of marriage I can only think of 1 time he was away over night (without me). He's never gone...he's my encouragement and support that gets me through life.
Not to mention #1.....the big boys. Yes, they've been home for 4 months. Yes, the frozen tundra has brought us together. BUT, they thrive off Bobby's presence at night and don't try many antics when he's around :) [and of course, the youngest 4 will most definitely be missing their daddy as well!!]
We'd appreciate prayers over the next 2 weeks: for Bobby and the team traveling to Uganda (safety, health, work, unity, etc) and for our family (my sanity/patience/grace/energy, the children's hearts/behavior/unity).




No comments:
Post a Comment