Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Believing in the Dream He had for Us

This is most definitely the longest I've gone without blogging!  March was a very hard month for us all around while April and May have been BUSY--well, life is always busy but I think I'm finally realizing just how busy life with 6 active kiddos will be :) 

April 1st marked SIX MONTHS of the boys being home and April 3rd we celebrated Detcho's 10th Birthday.  Most of you know that in Ethiopia, birthday's aren't a big deal and aren't celebrated the way we do (often to extremes) in the US.  In fact, births aren't always recorded and knowing the date of your birth is very uncommon.  The week leading up to his "birthday" Detcho kept reminding us and many others that this wasn't his real birthday and questioned why we're even celebrating a fake birthday. 

We talked a lot about having this day to celebrate HIM and I explained how great it will be when he's older to look back at how he grew throughout the years....
I'm happy to share that after his party he was grinning from ear to ear and wouldn't stop thanking us for throwing him a party. 


Looking back at March/April and moving forward with a renewed sense of hope and joy, I've had time to reflect....

One thing I've seen play out time and time again through adoption journeys I've watched (and through our own) is that prior to a child coming home, families are on emotional overload--anxious, scared, excited, impatient, ready.  Then a child comes home and it's a joyous occasion--often celebrated at the airport and noticed by all. 
THEN....
A few months into the process life gets tough.  It's assumed that your children are doing well, adjusting well, fitting in well.  It's assumed that the parents have it figured out and life is all peaches and roses.

BUT...
A child (of any age) faces great loss and trauma through adoption (domestically or internationally).  A child is often struggling socially, emotionally, educationally, spiritually. 

AND...
The parents get exhausted.  Something that started so full of joy is suddenly the hardest thing you've ever experienced. 

THIS is where I was (and also where I know I'll probably be a number of times again).
Suddenly life had become TOUGH and I wanted the joy of October to return...or, to be honest, I wanted to go back in time a couple years.  BUT, thank God different things through April and early May have brought me that hope and joy I so eagerly wanted needed to return. 

In April Bobby and I traveled to Fargo to represent our adoption agency at a Casting Crowns concert.  At the concert we had tons of people stop by to ask questions about adoption and many of them wanted to know our story.  By sharing our journey with those who felt they're being led toward older children or those who are so ready but doubt the costs helped me see again how God's hands were most definitely ALL over our journey.  Orally sharing our story and how God so perfectly orchestrated bring us together as eight amazed me all over again.

Then we had a lady from our local newspaper come out to do a follow-up story on our adoption.  She wanted to get the boys' side of the adoption journey (which I'm bummed wasn't included in the article!!)....hearing them tell their story was so encouraging.  To hear them tell her they love us more than anything and to hear the things they love about our family....worth every single tear and struggle.

The beginning of May Bobby and I were able to take a little "get-away" to CAFO's Summit in Chicago.  There is nothing more refreshing and encouraging than spending a couple days with thousands of individuals who understand your family's struggles and who feel urged to care for the fatherless.  The worship, professionals, workshops, friendships, and time with Bobby were a true gift!

Yes, we will continue to have our struggles and there will be times again where I wish time could rewind or fast forward, but; this past month has brought forth restoration.  Looking back I can see how I was focusing on the hard (the tough, the day to day happenings) and NOT thinking of the ways God was and is working on myself and my family.  I realized I wasn't taking the time to notice the day to day joys and the HUGE gains we continue to make.

At the concert this song came on and my eyes immediately filled with tears.  Just a year and a half ago I would have NEVER imagined we'd adopt an older child (more less two!).  I never would have dreamed of having such beautiful, loving, giving, thankful children.  Sometimes, we just need to stop and let GOD dream for us--and then let him guide us THROUGH the dream as well!

So come on, let Me dream, let Me dream for you
I am strong when youre weak and Ill carry you
So let go of your plan, be caught by My hand
Ill show you what I can do
When I dream for you
I have a dream for you....

I'm stronger than you think I am
I'll take you farther than you think you can
You sing and call me Great I Am
So take your stand
My child, if you only knew
All the plans that I have for you
Just trust me, I will follow through
You can follow Me
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment