Saturday, June 14, 2014

Answering THE Call

June 14th, 2013:

I woke up nervous, anxious and ready for a call (we had been called the day before asking if we'd accept a referral even though one of the children was a year older than our requested age).

I was watching the clock in anticipation as we tried to have a typical summer morning heading to the park for our Friday play group.  I quickly threw together lunches and got my four kiddos ready for a hot day.  Just as I was walking out the door--lunches, sunscreen, phone, and baby in hand-- the phone rang. 

I quickly threw everything down and answered THE CALL.

Within minutes I was looking through a file containing medical information, past history, and photos.  Two BIG boys were looking at me through the screen and all I could do was stare and cry.  I'm not going to lie, I was soooooooooo nervous.  We had been warned about not following birth order.  We had been warned about adopting older children.  We had been told, "Don't jump to just say yes, please pray and review carefully."

As odd as it may seem to those who haven't experienced it, there is just something about a photo that can touch your heart more than you would have ever known.  In the first look at the photo I KNEW.  I knew D and N were chosen for us.  I knew God was preparing our hears (and theirs) to unite us.  I knew that even though we'd have struggles, we were going to be family. 

It's been one year since we first saw those sweet faces, only now, it's not a picture half way across the world, but big smiles we're greeted with every morning and hugs we're given every night.  I can say very honestly and very sincerely that even though it's hard, these two sweet boys have brought us so much joy and have taught us so much about life.  We will NEVER be the same simply because we said yes to something that at once seemed so crazy and so scary.

Referral Photo
 And for them, they recall their feelings that June day as they got back to the orphanage from school...
"We walk in from school and they tell us we had a family.  We didn't believe it and thought they were joking.  We waited for 3 years to be told we had family.  We saw kids come and they go.  But us, no family.  We went to bed that night thinking if it was true.  The next morning someone brought photo of you.  We ran to our room and cried a lot.  I mean a lot.  We looked at the picture all day and hid it under our bed.  We didn't sleep that night all night.  My friends and nannies, they sooooo happy for us because we finally have family."
Yes, boys.  You DO have a family.  One that will never leave you or forsake you, through the calm or through the storm. 
June 13, 2014

Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord you God. (Isaiah 43:1-3)

No comments:

Post a Comment