Today's a day of reflection for me. I'm sure as everyone gets older it's common on your birthday to take a look back at what the previous year brought and the various journeys life has brought you through.
When we got married (almost) 10 years ago I could have never imagined I'd spend my 30th birthday in a hot, humid court house in the middle of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. That day we waited impatiently in the waiting room amongst many other adoptive parents waiting for our names to be called. We were warned by all that it was nothing to worry about and very laid back--which it was--but no one in that situation can just sit back and relax knowing you'll be soon facing a judge who will deem you parents to the children you are adopting.
We walked into the little room and answered all the questions (even Eli was asked a few question and he felt pretty special!) and within minutes we were declared the parents to Detcho and Nahagi. Tears streamed down my face as what we were anticipating was a reality.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been one year since that warm celebratory day in Ethiopia. Funny how we told the boys then that it was my birthday (remember they didn't celebrate birthdays and so it wasn't a big deal to them).....just last week I was tucking them in and they noticed the pictures hanging on their wall with their adoption date and realized it was the same as my birthday. Oh how much joy that simple connection brought them!
I can guarantee every year I will remember that best birthday with my heart beating heavily in that sweaty courtroom. Every year I will look back and remember God granting us the privilege to raise these two sweet boys who have rocked our world on so many levels.
Today I thank the Lord for the life He has given me. For my family, my friends, my awesome husband and the 6 children who call me mom.
When we got married (almost) 10 years ago I could have never imagined I'd spend my 30th birthday in a hot, humid court house in the middle of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. That day we waited impatiently in the waiting room amongst many other adoptive parents waiting for our names to be called. We were warned by all that it was nothing to worry about and very laid back--which it was--but no one in that situation can just sit back and relax knowing you'll be soon facing a judge who will deem you parents to the children you are adopting.
We walked into the little room and answered all the questions (even Eli was asked a few question and he felt pretty special!) and within minutes we were declared the parents to Detcho and Nahagi. Tears streamed down my face as what we were anticipating was a reality.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
It's been one year since that warm celebratory day in Ethiopia. Funny how we told the boys then that it was my birthday (remember they didn't celebrate birthdays and so it wasn't a big deal to them).....just last week I was tucking them in and they noticed the pictures hanging on their wall with their adoption date and realized it was the same as my birthday. Oh how much joy that simple connection brought them!
I can guarantee every year I will remember that best birthday with my heart beating heavily in that sweaty courtroom. Every year I will look back and remember God granting us the privilege to raise these two sweet boys who have rocked our world on so many levels.
Today I thank the Lord for the life He has given me. For my family, my friends, my awesome husband and the 6 children who call me mom.
| July 31, 2013 |
| July 31, 2014 |
No comments:
Post a Comment