Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Paper Pregnancy, Paper Chasing, Paperwork, Paperwork, Paperwork!

Well, summer is officially here!  The weather in ND this year has been terribly wet and therefore we have spent many days indoors when we'd really like to be splashing in the water, or scrapping more knees on the cement.  We did manage a few days of nice sunny weather, and the kiddos know that means the swim suits are on and we're outside for the day! 

 

I remember the days when I was first pregnant with Eli...crazy hormones, many people giving advice, and reading every article or book on pregnancy I could find.  Well, fast-forward five years and we are now experiencing a different pregnancy...one that is often referred to as "The Paper Pregnancy."  A lot of the emotions/motions I went through five years ago have returned! 

Last week we received our dossier paperwork and for those of you not in the adoption process, I can't even explain the time and energy that goes into this!!!!!  This is just a glimpse of our pile we will be working on for the next 3-4 months or so:



To my close friends and family, please know that we have not forgotten you:)  These next couple of months are filled with trips to the courthouse, doctors, social workers, post office, etc!  I have told myself that I cannot get too consumed in the process and need to stay connected and in touch with everyone!  In a memoir I'm currently reading "From Ashes to Africa," it reiterates the point that the sooner we get our paperwork done, the sooner we will be on the waiting list for our baby girl (or sibling group!).  That fact alone is hard to push aside....

I read this post yesterday on a blog I subscribe to:
  • Stay connected with your real life friends. In the throes of adoption, it becomes all too easy to seclude yourself to the world of adoption blogs and groups. It is so important to continue to nurture relationships with your real life friends though. Even if it feels like they don’t understand what you’re going through, focus on all of the things you do have in common rather than the things you don’t. And just a hint, don’t talk about adoption all the time. It gets old for other people.
What great advice to those of us who are paper chasing, and waiting in our adoption journey!
As crazy as it is, two years ago I didn't even know exactly what a blog was, or how it worked.  Now, the blog world has become a vice for me!  I had no clue that I would get emotionally invested in others lives who live across the country and I've never met face to face!  However, the connections I've made with families I've "met" through blogging is so wonderful!  It's so great to see how God is working in others lives and how hope is being brought to orphans around the world! 

Thank you to the SEVEN people who are currently writing letters of recommendation for us.  We are thankful beyond words in the wonderful people God has placed in our life! 

Love from our family to yours!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney,
    My name is Kortny and I live in IL. I found your blog on a different blog that I was reading. My husband and I are in the EXACT same stage that you are in with the adoption process. I was reading your timeline and we started the process almost the exact same day. I just thought I would tell you that I know exactly what you are going through and it's a crazy process. There are many similar things about our families, so I enjoy reading your posts.:) Good luck to you on this adoption process. I can't wait to read about you bringing home your little girl!

    ReplyDelete