Friday, April 20, 2012

Grandma Lollipop

A few months back I was browsing books on my Kindle and saw the story Grandpa Green.  The cover and description captivated me and I quickly added it to my 'wish list.'  Today at the North Dakota Reading Conference, the book was on a table for giveaway--so of course I quickly scooped it up;)

After work I got home to three rambunctious children that really wanted to go to Great Grandma Gayda's house.  Now, I'm being honest when I say I LOVE my grandma.  But tonight, I didn't feel like going to Grandma's house.  She's exhausting at times and a short trip is never an option. 

I sighed, shrugged my shoulders, and decided we'd head.

Wow was I glad we did.  My grandma's house is comfort to me.  There's something about the smell right when you walk in the door---I swear if you blindfolded me and brought me there, I'd know exactly where I was.  She loves to have company and is always eagerly waiting at the door (which then means a big smile and her side hug where she pulls you real tight). Her cooking and baking...well there aren't even words to describe them. 

Tonight, she made my favorite--Borscht soup (this time it was a coincidence...but if you know my grandma, she has a niche for ALWAYS making everyone's favorite). 

It wasn't her usually set table, homemade rolls (or kolaches), or a yummy dessert waiting for us to dig into.  It was plain and simple: borscht and crackers....and perfect. 

We had such fun conversation laughing at my kiddos and making small talk.  As I cleared the table, she fed the kids some Easter candy she had--laughing at Owen begging for more, more more.  And as soon as we were through eating, she showed the kids some new toys she had bought for her house.  We played for the next hour--you know, quality grandma and grandchildren play. 

After the slobbery kisses and the long goodbye, we headed home for a bedtime story-- Grandpa Green that I had picked up today.

We sat on the edge of the bed reading this wonderfully crafted story of a family's legacy and love.  Grandpa Green doesn't remember everything like he used to, but he has retold his life in his topiary garden.  The story shows his great grandson walking through the garden and telling his Grandpa Green's life story.  (here's a peek)
 
The story was a perfect ending to a perfect evening.  So my grandma may be getting older, and is sometimes exhausting.  So she may feed my children WAY more sugar than I would ever imagine giving them.  So her entertaining isn't quite what it used to be....but the love she radiates is nothing less than extra-ordinary. 

Oh how much I cherish the memories I hold with her...and the memories my children are able to create with her.  My "Grandma Lollipop"--as my children call her--has handed down a legacy of love, cooking, and family that I hope to pass on.

(P.S....Grandma Lollipop NEVER, EVER, EVER fails to ask about Addy and if she buys something for the grandkids, Addy's always included.  I can't wait to bring Addy home to a family that loves and adores her!)

Love from our family to yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment