Monday, July 9, 2012

Tough Subjects

I am not confrontational.  In fact, I have only one friend who I have been able to completely and openly confront about true feelings/issues (thanks Becky!).  Usually I'm the"on-the-surface" type.  I'm not talking about things I'm passionate about like literacy or orphan care...but more day to day things.  I don't like to argure or be in awkward situations.  And I like for everyone to get along.

I have a feeling I'm in for a rude awakening in just a couple months!  I don't mind sharing our thoughts/opinions on bringing home our African princess.  What I don't want to face is those who don't understand or who are unwilling to accept the fact that two white people will be (and can be) adopting an African child into our home. 

BUT, there are times when others just don't KNOW or don't know HOW to even go about understanding such crazy people like us (really we're not crazy, we're just two people trying to live as Jesus would want us to and calls us to--but that's pretty crazy to a lot of people!). 

Last month I got a great message from a college friend asking for advice in helping her children not be "color blind" (that noticing skin color does not make someone racist, but the way you treat people is what is important).  She (like us) lives in a primarily white community. 

I am eager to hear the comments we'll receive from our primarily white community when we are toting around our beautiful 6 month old princess.  I truly believe most people will be open and accepting of our adoption...but I am not naive to believe all will be. 

As I promised Anne (the awesome mom who wants her children to understand different cultures), I will be blogging about these tough subjects as I find time (so---maybe never???) and as I am awkwardly placed in situations I'd rather not be in (but don't worry Addy, as much as I don't like confrontation, I'm going to stick up for you and your culture to the ends of the earth!).

White vs. black
Domestic vs. international
Adoption vs. orphanges
Small family vs. large family

I pray Jesus will shine through our family and the love He has for ALL will become more evident through our crazy white family including a beautiful African princess.

---------------------------------------------

We continue to wait for more information on our final processes!  We are expecting an update VERY soon (the next couple days).  Our agency's director and our family coordinator just returned on Friday from the DRC.  They were working on setting up a transition house in which THEY will staff--meaning we can be assured Addy will be getting care from great nannies.  

I also got an email with a statement for Addy's escort fees from where she is currently living in an orphanage to Kinshasa (where the transition house is).  I don't quite know what that means--will find out when I get our update--but that either means she has been moved or will be moved very soon to the new place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That also means we will have a better update about her, her health, her daily schedule, etc! 

We are hoping our I-600 will be filed or has been filed which would mean we could still be travelling in August (long shot-but possible!).

Praying for updates that will bring happy dances:)

1 comment:

  1. Aaah, thanks Courtney :) You already gave me great suggestions that we've started to do already (books with different races)! I've been loving following your story, and can't wait to see the first pictures of Addy in your arms :)

    ReplyDelete