"Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance."
En-dur-ance n.: the ability or stength to continue or last especially during pain and hardshipsJames 1: 2-3
I recently started a new Bible study, James: Mercy Triumphs, by Beth Moore. I know it's one of those incredibly awesome powers of God and His word, but I am still amazed how clearly I relate to every study I do. It's like the study was written for me, in that very moment of life. But with this study, I R.E.A.L.L.Y feel it;)
A couple days ago I was doing a lesson on the two verses listed above (James 1:2-3). I've known these verses and had them memorized before the study started, afterall the book of James is probably the book I've read the most and the book in which I've memorized the most verses....but these two verses bring on a whole new meaning right now, as I'm facing trials.
"Consider it a great joy..."
The word 'consider' implies we shoud think or reflect on our trials and consider them a joy. I agree with Beth that, "I can't think of anything harder than counting hardships a joy."
"... the testing of your faith produces endurance."
The testing of our faith gives us endurance. Trials aren't meant to take away from us, but to give us endurance. What we see as painful and hard is not always what is bad or turns out to be bad.
You see, I can tell you this waiting game is H.A.R.D. It is not easy to keep patient and feel joyful about our situation. BUT, what we have learned and gained through this process is a faith and trust in God that we've never had to experience before. We have grown to be more reliant on Him and less of ourselves, our timelines, and our expectations. We have found that waiting strengthens our faith, and the stronger our faith is, the more obediently we can live our lives.
By learning to wait, we've learned to trust.
So... yes, we do consider this waiting a joy--even though we don't always feel it!
Is it easy? No. But, we are placing our trust in Him, knowing His plan is greater than any plan we could ever dream up....(plus, we do know that holding Addy is in our arms will definitely make this wait worthwhile)!
While we keep waiting, we will continue to produce endurance...through the strength and hope found in Him.
"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."His steadfast love endures forever!
1 Cor: 13-7
No comments:
Post a Comment