Last night was Book Club. It may not be the highlight of my month, but it's definitely something I look forward to each month. A night away with friends, talking about books, and enjoying a glass of wine and yummy food. A night of bonding for Bobby and the kids. A night to relax and enjoy some great friends.
Last night was Book Club...but I was not there.
I just so happens to be that I was supposed to host this month's gathering but cancelled the day before because our house was a mess--between the excavator, plumber, and countertop installers we had a mess to say the least. But, by Thursday morning the house started to come together and I was thinking I could have hosted after all.
Turns out God had other plans for my Thursday evening and needed my house to be ready for His purposes.
Thursday afternoon I got a call at work asking if we were willing to take in a foster child. Every inch of me wanted to say, "No, it's just not a good time right now."
You see, life has been crazy lately. And I don't just mean the day to day life of raising 4 kids crazy. I mean hectic crazy. Building a house, adopting sweet Addy, working, ministry, moving, AND every day life has been tiring. I've been feeling like we deserve a break. We NEED a break.
BUT, God had other plans.
Bobby and I struggled for a long time with the decision to build our house. It's a rather large house and we were comfortable in our previous home. We had everything we needed and building a new house and moving to the country was going to be great, but we almost felt guilty for WANTING more.
We prayed and prayed about whether or not it was the time to build and whether or not this house was what was in store for our family.
We were reassured that this house WAS the next step for us and we promised each other that our house would be used for His glory. We were going to be open to at least one more child through adoption and would be willing to take in foster children when it was needed and we were able.
Here's the thing. I've come to realize there's a BIG difference between "able" and "willing."
Were we going to be willing to take in another child amongst life's chaos when we were more than able to? We definitely have the room. We definitely have the love. Yes, it would add more chaos and time and energy and......
But what about this child? What about his NEEDS...not his wants......his NEEDS. He needed a home and he needed love.....so we must be WILLING.
So, instead of being with my friends enjoying a night "off," I was home tucking five children into their beds and sitting on the floor of the boys' room until 11:30 while this sweet little boy wrestled himself to sleep.
1 John 3:17
But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?
Last night was Book Club...but I was not there.
I just so happens to be that I was supposed to host this month's gathering but cancelled the day before because our house was a mess--between the excavator, plumber, and countertop installers we had a mess to say the least. But, by Thursday morning the house started to come together and I was thinking I could have hosted after all.
Turns out God had other plans for my Thursday evening and needed my house to be ready for His purposes.
Thursday afternoon I got a call at work asking if we were willing to take in a foster child. Every inch of me wanted to say, "No, it's just not a good time right now."
You see, life has been crazy lately. And I don't just mean the day to day life of raising 4 kids crazy. I mean hectic crazy. Building a house, adopting sweet Addy, working, ministry, moving, AND every day life has been tiring. I've been feeling like we deserve a break. We NEED a break.
BUT, God had other plans.
Bobby and I struggled for a long time with the decision to build our house. It's a rather large house and we were comfortable in our previous home. We had everything we needed and building a new house and moving to the country was going to be great, but we almost felt guilty for WANTING more.
We prayed and prayed about whether or not it was the time to build and whether or not this house was what was in store for our family.
We were reassured that this house WAS the next step for us and we promised each other that our house would be used for His glory. We were going to be open to at least one more child through adoption and would be willing to take in foster children when it was needed and we were able.
Here's the thing. I've come to realize there's a BIG difference between "able" and "willing."
Were we going to be willing to take in another child amongst life's chaos when we were more than able to? We definitely have the room. We definitely have the love. Yes, it would add more chaos and time and energy and......
But what about this child? What about his NEEDS...not his wants......his NEEDS. He needed a home and he needed love.....so we must be WILLING.
So, instead of being with my friends enjoying a night "off," I was home tucking five children into their beds and sitting on the floor of the boys' room until 11:30 while this sweet little boy wrestled himself to sleep.
1 John 3:17
But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?
Love your heart!
ReplyDelete