Friday, March 1, 2013

Congo Adventures Day 7--A Piece of Congo

Saturday, October 27:

Each day we spent in the walls of the hotel Addy became more and more comfortable with us.  She started to show her personality and started to act like she WANTED us to hold her, comfort her, and play with her.

So today, we spent a good portion of the morning just bonding. 
Playing. 
Laughing. 
Learning. 
We learned quickly that Addy loved playing hide and seek and giving high fives.  As I reflected from the day at the transition house, I recalled the other children walking around giving fives, even to the babies.  And so this was an acquired game she loved--putting her hand in the air, just waiting for you to slap it. 

We all know we had enough time to play around--so that's what we did--and we'd get so excited every time she'd give us a big belly laugh or mimic us.  I spent the day trying to capture Addy in photos and videos.  Trying to capture as much as I could now to make up for the 9 months I missed.  

Today was also the day we got to go out and experience Congo a bit more. We went downstairs for our afternoon soda in the courtyard to wait for our driver and escort. They actually showed up a bit earlier than we were told (WHAT?!?!) so they sat down with us while we fed Addy some potatoes (clearly her favorite) and finished our sodas.
The driver could not speak english, however our escort could. Many times throughout the week I'd wonder what everyone around me was saying and this was no different. C and M sat and chatted for a good five minutes, often looking at us and giggling or smirking. 

I was starting to get annoyed....

Finally C looked over and translated the conversation they just had. Apparently 'M' told her that "Generose" was very special to him. He said that he was very nervous when he found out her parents were coming, as he wasn't sure anyone would be quite good enough for Generose.....but now he was so happy WE were her parents. He said that he couldn't believe how clear it was that both Bobby and I loved her so much and it was clear to him that she was happy and comfortable with us as well.

 M kept looking at me with the biggest grin across his face. He'd look at Addy and then at me and say, "Good Mamma, Good Mamma."

Driving down the streets was just the like the days before, only I found myself giggling as we'd twist and turn jerking through the streets of Kinshasa. A nervous, "I should just close my eyes, but I can't take my eyes off of the reality that surrounds me," giggle. (those that know me well know this giggle of mine---the giggle that comes out when I'm scared, nervous, or uncomfortable).


When we pulled up to the market I was quite anxious. We were told before we left for Congo that if we wanted to go to the market, the women would go but the men would stay back with the children. However, C told us to all come along for the journey! So stepping out of the van to a swarm of people while carrying Addy made me uneasy.

C prepared us for the market experience, so even though I was nervous, I walked down the aisles holding my head high shaking my head or responding, "No merci," over and over again as the men tugged at me or shouted, fighting for our business.
"Mamma, Mamma, look, look."
"Please. You need dis."
"Come, come"
"Only $20"
Rows and rows of desperate merchants vying to get our money.

We walked around the market stopping at the items we just couldn't pass by----some jewelry and little toys for the kids, a nativity set, a picture for Addy's room, hand carved serving bowls and platter, a couple large canvas paintings. It was interesting to see C barter with the men. Each item took about 10 minutes of bartering, as we stood looking between them.

By the time we left, I was no longer intimidated and didn't want to leave.  This was a little slice of Congo that I just wanted to take in--every little bit of it. 

Arriving back at the hotel, we were exhausted for all the excitement and the HEAT. 

We finished our last evening at the hotel in the restaurant...
Chatting with the wait staff that had now became our friends. 
Watching the girls playing together. 
And discussing the week we'd had. 

Looking back, this was my favorite Congo day (obviously other than the day Addy was placed in our arms!).  All week we had seen Addy light up when Josee was around.



They clearly had this bond from living together since the day Addy was born (we found out they had both been at the same orphanage together before they were moved to Kinshasa). 

But today, we started to see that side of Addy when Josee was not around.  It was a true sign that Addy was learning she could trust us and that we loved her.

Our hearts were full!




Up tomorrow....Worshipping in Congo and the absolute craziest hours in Congo---the airport experience.

1 comment:

  1. ok. your family is beautiful and i am going to have such fun catching up on all the lord is doing here!

    happy monday! xo

    ReplyDelete