Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Opened Eyes

I'm guessing most of you reading this have watched the video "Kony 2012" that's taken over facebook.  Watching the video I  found myself wiping tears off my face as I was reminded how innocent children are being treated.  I am glad that awareness is being brought to this cruel reality. 
BUT, I am a little upset that it has taken this long to do something for these children...and a little upset that the 2 billion CHRISTIANS of the world aren't doing more. Plus, I'm not 100% sold on the efforts/tactics of Invisible Children...but needless to say I did pass the video on and do suggest that everyone watches it!

I think the movie will help raise awareness across the globe...but, will hearts be changed and challenged to step up and do something for these defenseless children? 
I know a lot of families and churches are stepping up to care for the less fortunate, but many are not.  I don't want to jump on my soap box and pretend like my heart is perfect or even doing everything I can....because I'm not!  BUT, I can tell you (I know I've said this a million times) that our hearts and minds have been opened and changed since we started the adoption process.  My heart has always been with children...and seeing children  hurting completely breaks me (whether they are fatherless, malnourished, war slaves, sex slaves, etc).  

BUT, just having a broken heart is obviously not enough.

When we started our adoption from the DRC I knew that life was tough in the Congo.  I knew of the wars going on, the witch craft, child warfare, etc...but I had NO CLUE how bad it was. Our society doesn't want us to talk about the desperate needs of others because they aren't right here in America (of course I know there are needs here as well).  All people are God' people and all Christians are called to act.  Joseph Kony and the LRA is not an "African problem."  It's a problem of human beings just like you and I.  My eyes were opened when God called us to the beautiful continent of Africa.  I cannot pretend I don't know that which I have seen (or heard).
 

I know there are many that are for Kony 2012 and many who are against.  For or against...I don't think that's the question. The question is what are YOU doing for those who have no hope?  What are you doing now that your eyes have been opened?
I pray that voices will be heard and others will be educated about bigger problems than the US economy.  While many Americans are struggling to make an "American Dream" living, others are facing extreme poverty, child warfare, the sex trade, etc.

Today I'm  also praying for my baby girl who is living in a country torn apart by cruelty.  I pray that she is safe, healthy, and feeling comfort from someone when her mommy can not be there for her!  I also pray for the people around her...that the Congolese people may find hope and love in others...that there will someday not be such a high number of orphaned and hurting children because of people like Joseph Kony. AND I pray for Kony...that God will stop his actions and change his heart.

Love from our family to yours!

1 comment:

  1. I think that the stop Kony campaign isn't bad, exactly, but after reading up on Invisible Children, I can't support them. They don't even make clear in the video that Kony isn't in Uganda and they are completely exaggerating the numbers of child soldiers. The video seems to be more about them than helping Ugandan, did they even talk to any Ugandans? Kony hasn't been there for years. They've also been accused of falsifying testimony before Congress. I can't support an organization that does that

    ReplyDelete