Some time ago I wrote this post about the realities we will face when we bring Addy home (you know, with the whole "color" issue).
Growing up in good ol' Dickinson, ND I can remember the "black family" that lived in town. Yes, there may have been more than one, but I didn't know or see them. But I remember this family distinctly---because our community was primarily white people and they were "different" then the norm around us.
I by no means had any bad or even uncomfortable feelings towards them. It was just different.
But here's the thing....
Wait for it....
Black skin IS different than white skin. (GASP)
There IS no such thing as being "color blind." (well, in the non literal sense anyway)!
I firmly believe that how we react and how we treat people is a true test of our character, our upbringing, and our beliefs. It is okay to notice the differences, and it is okay to talk about those differences--in appropriate, respectful ways!
When my friend Anne (who was mentioned in the above noted post) asked for tips on how to multiculturally educate her young children, I was ecstatic that she would notice the need to do so!
I shared with Anne that I felt children's books are a great educational tool to open up dialog and awareness on differences. Simply reading books with other races/colors will help children feel more comfortable with the issue and may lead to great discussions.
When we started this journey, our children had very little awareness or familiarity with black people. Eli truly thought that black people's skin eventually turns white...and when we saw a black child in the grocery store one day, Ayla asked (very loudly I may add) if the boy was an orphan--to her, all black kids were orphans. (By the way, the mom didn't think that comment was so cute).
If you're interested in adding some "color" to your children's books....these are some of my favorites!!!
If you're not hooked yet, just hang with me a bit!
Happy Reading!
Growing up in good ol' Dickinson, ND I can remember the "black family" that lived in town. Yes, there may have been more than one, but I didn't know or see them. But I remember this family distinctly---because our community was primarily white people and they were "different" then the norm around us.
I by no means had any bad or even uncomfortable feelings towards them. It was just different.
But here's the thing....
Wait for it....
Black skin IS different than white skin. (GASP)
There IS no such thing as being "color blind." (well, in the non literal sense anyway)!
I firmly believe that how we react and how we treat people is a true test of our character, our upbringing, and our beliefs. It is okay to notice the differences, and it is okay to talk about those differences--in appropriate, respectful ways!
When my friend Anne (who was mentioned in the above noted post) asked for tips on how to multiculturally educate her young children, I was ecstatic that she would notice the need to do so!
I shared with Anne that I felt children's books are a great educational tool to open up dialog and awareness on differences. Simply reading books with other races/colors will help children feel more comfortable with the issue and may lead to great discussions.
When we started this journey, our children had very little awareness or familiarity with black people. Eli truly thought that black people's skin eventually turns white...and when we saw a black child in the grocery store one day, Ayla asked (very loudly I may add) if the boy was an orphan--to her, all black kids were orphans. (By the way, the mom didn't think that comment was so cute).
If you're interested in adding some "color" to your children's books....these are some of my favorites!!!
These are some of my favs on multiculturalism. I personally think these are all must have books for every home (especially He's Got the Whole World in His Hands, Whoever You Are, Shades of People, The Skin You Live In, One World One Day, and A Little Peace)
These are a few of our favorite books specifically on adoption (great learning experience for children who aren't in an adoptive family, too!)
Donald Crews, Ezra Jack Keats, and Angela Johnson are authors who have numerous books with black characters (Ezra and Angela have TONS!!!!).
And these are just some of my favorite reads (with black characters).
If you're an Amazon junkie like me, once you order one book (or put it in a wish list), many other related books pop up--and you'll soon have a whole collection of books you can't wait to read to your children;)
If you're not hooked yet, just hang with me a bit!
Happy Reading!
Love all the book options! I have several of those, but didn't recognize others. I am a book/amazon junkie too!
ReplyDeleteExciting to read you all will be traveling soon!
Catherine
(another LBB DRC momma:)
These are great recommendations, Courtney!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing these books! This is great..I'm heading over to amazon right now:)
ReplyDelete